Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I am just wondering how low of a flow have people done kayak only San Juan trips down to Clay Hills?

Just considering a low flow solo trip this summer!

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
370 Posts
i've done it in a raft down to 750, I would imagine, with some dragging you could do it down to 250 or so...but that's purely hypothetical to get the conversation started

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've done it in a 14' raft in the winter at around 500. I don't know that they ever let the damn releases go low enough that you couldn't get a kayak or ducky down. Low flows are nice as there seems to be less traffic.

·
Registered
148 Posts
4 years ago I launched in a 14 raft at 750cfs. But by government, flows were down to 300 and every other boat got stuck at the rapid. Not stuck bad, but stuck none the less. We stayed at Steer Gulch on the last day and woke up to flows of 250. We ended up hiking the river with ropes around our waists dragging the boats. The kids thought it was cool, but I wasn’t amused. Still, we made it out. It wasn’t super fun at the end and wouldn’t launch at those flows again - but every trip down the SJ is completely worth it.

We thought to ourselves that if we drew low water again, we’d go in IKs. It would be a blast. We could have easily done it at those flows in IKs. Have fun!

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Peg and I plan to try it in our Prijon Yukon Expeditions launching on an April 8th permit. We will let you know. Suspect no problems.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What is your IK? Mine is a AIRE Lynx II and it would likely be no problem; and certainly, if you stay in the right channel.
Peg and I plan to try it in our Prijon Yukon Expeditions launching on an April 8th permit. We will let you know. Suspect no problems.
any recon would be greatly appreciated. I can’t believe that others have not done a self supported low flow San Juan trip down to Clay Hills. The upper is no problems.

3” of water for a solo boat loaded for a week long trip, answering other comment.

I plan on taking a Sea Eagle Explorer 420x, 14’ kayak. Some frown on Sea Eagles, but I have had an Explorer 300x for over 5 years, paddling every major river in the SW, including the Grand. Also have done Salmon & others up North. Awesome stable boat, that wakes up in class 3 or above and performs like a hardshell, with the ridged drop stitch technology. Now everyone is copying their technology.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts