Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a possibility of getting on a San Juan trip starting at Mexican Hat around April 19 or so. Seems like I've heard 500cfs is a minimum flow for rafts -- and even that may require some dragging, right?. Also seems like I heard that the flows around then will likely be 500 to 1000, sound right? I'm thinking about waiting for another opportunity on the San Juan in hopes of a more reliable flow/fun trip. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I have a possibility of getting on a San Juan trip starting at Mexican Hat around April 19 or so. Seems like I've heard 500cfs is a minimum flow for rafts -- and even that may require some dragging, right?. Also seems like I heard that the flows around then will likely be 500 to 1000, sound right? I'm thinking about waiting for another opportunity on the San Juan in hopes of a more reliable flow/fun trip. Thoughts?

I ran it at 350-375 one year in my 18' cat, no problems, had to drag a few times on the last day. Government was a rock garden with no clean line for my rig, still, no big deal.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Go for it. The 4 corners are dealing with a long, extended period of drought. If are waiting for better conditions you might just be waiting a long time....that is unless you have a friend with a June 1st permit...plus, the San Juan isn't about the whitewater anyway.
Thanks, all.
What I'm wondering about is the likelihood of a bit more water if I go a little later in the season (this season or another). My wife says "We ain't young," and we'd prefer not to drag much or line gov't. I don't feel like I have to jump at this April San Juan possibility (a mid-late April Yampa is also a possibility, wonderful, but I've done that before -- but it IS a lot closer to Wyoming...)

·
Registered
71 Posts
flows around 500 cfs are fine. The BOR is required to maintain a 500 cfs average (weekly?). a little slower going, but not bad. I think many of the sand bars on the last day get high and dry at these lower flows, which makes it easier to read the river. last year, I got out maybe twice and had to drag a couple hundred feet to the boat ramp. like others said, government is kind of a pinball.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Good snowfall the last few days, should provide a good boost to available water.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts