972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Sand Island to Clay Hills.

Reasonable?

·
Registered
357 Posts
6 Days 5 nights?

I go with the kids twice or more a year for the past 8 years. We normally take 6 days 5 nights for the lower and 8 days 7 nights for Sand Island to Clay Hills. With kids and low flows this is a good pace. I would add another day to the trip if you can. The upper has a ton of short hikes to cool walls and the river house. The lower has a few places I like to explore as well. Cheers

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've done it twice between 550 and 700 cfs, 6 days 5 nights. It's definitely more enjoyable to slow down and enjoy the hikes swimteam mentioned, but it can be done easily if you're under time constraints. Past Mexican Hat it doesn't matter much, it's assigned camping anyway. You can really only milk it from Sand Island to Mexican Hat.

·
Registered
102 Posts
From Sand Island to Clay Hills.

Reasonable?
We've done SI to CH in five days and made the take out by early afternoon. Did plenty of side hikes too. Of course, that was back when the flows were higher. Have done MH to CH in three days at higher flows several times, but last time it took five days at lower flows (700cfs) with storms moving through (strong headwinds). If the water stays above 1500cfs and you don't have stormy weather, six days should suffice with plenty of extra time for hiking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts