Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I snatched a cancellation permit for
The San Juan next week with the campsites slickhorn A and Trimble. I’ve read horror stories about Trimble on here but couldn’t find any recent info. The ranger assured me it was a fine spot but I’m still nervous. How bad is Trimble for a small group of four? Has anyone been on it recently?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I have never camped there or even set foot there. Have been at Oljeto just downstream and it’s fine. Slickhorn C is my fav as it has nice access to the magical place that is slickhorn canyon. If you are into hiking Slickhorn canyon is the place to do it along with Grand Gulch.

·
Registered
290 Posts
View attachment 76563
View attachment 76562

I’m pretty sure this was Trimble. Even if it wasn’t, I don’t remember Trimble being that bad. It definitely had like 2 spots for small tents, was strewn about with rocks, but any view down the SJ river was cool.
It's okay for a couple tents and will do in a pinch. Slickhorn A is about 1/2 mile above the mouth of Slickhorn Cyn. Leave early and float to "Slickhorn B" tie up and go hike for the morning up canyon then on down to Trimble Camp for the night.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I stopped to check out Trimble my last time down the SJ and it wasn't bad. It doesn't have a lot of big open areas to put multiple tents, but the view is nice(you could say that for most sites) and its definitely workable for a small group. I wouldn't let it be a deterrent.

Its also interesting to see just how massive the flash flood must have been there

·
Registered
19 Posts
Stayed there night before last. Parking is a little tight for more than two boats, otherwise I thought it was an excellent camp with a large communal area and a few spots tucked into the tamarisk. It’s like Coachman’s Pancakes in Salt Lake: “COME IN YOU MIGHT BE PLEASANTLY SURPRISED”

·
Registered
146 Posts
We stayed at Trimble back in late March. We were a group of five with three boats. I hadn’t ever stayed there and had heard the comments that it is now terrible. Other than the carry to get back up into it, I thought it was a fine camp.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts