Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Launching on The San Jaun April 17th.......any thoughts on the flow in 3 weeks? Thanks
We launch the upper section on the 11th and over the past week I have been watching the flows fluctuate between 1100 and 1400. Not a lot of H20, but enough to make it a pleasurable trip. I don't know anything about the prediction of releases in the next couple of weeks. Let's keep our fingers crossed...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
I wouldn't stress about the levels to Mexican Hat. I had a great float in my 14' raft at around 600 cfs in February.

Have a great trip!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
I'm happy to say that I don't feel stressed about the water levels at all. We have four full days to float a small number of river miles. This is shaping up to be a wonderful trip regardless of flow.

Bottom line: I'm going with the flow and feel especially happy about that.:lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
580 Posts
The release is not scheduled to increase until this year's spring peak release, which will occur with the peak of the Animas at Farmington. The way things are going, this may occur sooner than in years past.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Go for it...

Regardless of what the flows are, you should still do this trip. The upper (Sand Island to the Hat) doesn't really matter what the flow is...you can run it under 300, which it won't be.

the lower (Mexican Hat to Clay Hills) is runnable lower than you would think. We did it in duckies, totally self contaned at 370. Now granted it was low, but still do-able.

Even in a raft you are ok wt 600, or 700...just pack accordingly. Possibly bringing less wood, or a medium sized fire-pan, or leaving out a DO or somehting like that if the flow is really low.

I would highly recomend not leaving behind any beer regardless of flow. The last 11 miles are a pain in the ass regardless of level, and you will need that beer!

Have fun, late April is a great time to be on the river. I would plan a night at John's Canyon camp...cross your fingers the waterfall is flowing...what a magnificent sight!

Bucket
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Hot Springs?

Unless I am missing something very dramatic...the lower San Juan has no hot springs. If you are talking about what I think you are, the Pagossa Springs downtown stretch is near the soaking tubs.

I have run the permitted san juan pretty extensively and do not know of hot springs. Possibly up near Pagossa, and further south on the Ute Rez there may be other springs, but none I know of in the Utah stretch....

enlighten us!

Bucket
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,311 Posts
Been down at 375 in an 18' cat, no problem. Got stuck a couple of times on the lower, last day section. Rafts do much better at lower flows.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
580 Posts
The flow forecast is really dropping out now. We will probably be operating around 500 cfs or slightly lower around Bluff once the runoff stops. I would try to get your trips in early this year, unless you like low water. Hope for a good monsoon season, which tends to happen after springs like this.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top