Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone who is at least 6'2" paddle the salto? how comfortable is it or is it at all ? It seems to be an awsome boat I'm just wondering how big-guy freindly it is. thanks in advance for any input

·
Registered
843 Posts
Great Boat, real responsive and good for frontrange mank. I'm 6'0, 180 with a 32' inseam. If I wanted I could move the bulk head back another 4 notches (1 notch~1inch). Probrably could put a Cuurs party ball in the back (see ender machine) if I really wanted some punishment and interesting lines. Plastic holds up real well, but I do think there was a batch of Salto's last year that had defective plastic, so look out. Good rocker, outfitting is a little neolithic but I think these issues have been addressed. Make sure you get a nosecone. I've heard they won't warranty damaged bow's without nosecones. This is all second hand knowledge so I'd check into it. I probrably have one last season on my 2001 Salto. After 2005 frontrange abuse, I'll go out and get another one.

cheers
Kent

PS your weight will be the determining factor as to how it paddles. If your over 200lbs I'd look into something else

·
Registered
911 Posts
PHILLIPS is pretty much correct. And additionally correct with the weight comment at the end. I am 6.1 205 33 inseam and it fits great, but paddled better when I was around 190. I am a VERY happy owner of several Salto's. In most folks opinions it's one of the best creek boats ever. Very good at Boofing, rolls well, and overall gives you a very good/stable feeling when paddling. Never giving up any big surprises at the wrong times etc...

If you are 190 or smaller it's a must, if over 200 I would look into the Nomad.

·
Registered
539 Posts
in addition the salto solo boats (without paddler) very well. i've had the opportunity to see my salto style the narrows of the clear creek twice and kirschbaum once. it came out of the river (reluctantly) with a few scratches but no worse for the wear. i understand kent has a similar story of letting his salto go from the bottom of tunnel.
as was said add a nose cone for the anticipated pitons on solo descents.
-dan

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had to abandon my Salto in the hole of Jaws I on the NF Payette. It then ran Jaws II and III solo and pinned below. When I was finally reunited with my dear boat it's nose was totally caved in. I felt sooo bad. I quickly took it home and poured boiling water into the bow. Before I could even find something to pound it out with it just poped back into place. I love this boat. I only weight 160 (tops) but will paddle this thing until it springs a leak. Then I'll get another. I've paddled it on smaller volume stuff, but paddle in on my backyard big water run everyday and it does great in both. The moral of this post is this boat is very good on all types of water and tough as nails. If you can fit into it go for it.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Yeah Dan your right my Salto got away from me once last year in Tunnel and I didn't see it again til after Kirsch (were you there?). Thank god it was all in one piece (except for a gash in the nose - see nosecone). Must have been a full moon because that same day Chrispy, ACC and I all swam tunnell. I maybe could have fought it, but by that time I was already swimming for shore.

Cheers
Kent

·
Registered
168 Posts
I agree with above that it will fit you fine comfort wise, but I have to dissagree about the weight requirements. I weigh about 185 and I didn't like the way it paddled at all. I think the design is good, but it would probably work best for someone under about 175. With my weight it felt like it was sluggish and dove deep off of drops. I think a higher volume version would be an excellent design. It is true that the black line around the nose can crack due to weak bonding of the two plastics if it has the COEX (sp?) system. I think some of the newer models only use the one plastic system, which should fix that problem.

I know there are plenty of hardcore Salto fans out there that are ready to attack me, but he ask for opinions so I gave it. I am also an Eskimo fan and have been paddling a Cero for years.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I'm 6'1", 180lbs and love it. She boofs well and punches holes much better than some of the bath tubs on the market today. It also has edges which make it a more agressive creeker.
Peace
Joe
If you're interested in a new one, I might know where to find one (303) 594-9733

1 - 8 of 8 Posts