Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's raining below 7000' on the snow that fell last week. Sunday or Monday might be good days to take advantage of a pulse in flow. Expect cold water, messy roads, and wood. Be safe out there. :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
So far, nothing is really happening... we'll see what happens over the next day or so. A good friends is running with the Verde River Rangers this weekend from Beasley to Childs, so I'm definitely keeping an eye on the flow.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Today

Looks like today was the day. Oak Creek is pushing 1000cfs at the Tlaquepaque gauge.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I see on the weather channel that show low is getting some snow. Does this help the Salt?

Woke up this morning at 10:13.

·
Registered
140 Posts
It's close and kinda representative of the area that feeds into Cibecue Creek. A lot of the area east of Showlow affects the Salt upriver of the runnable section and Black River.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Any of you ever take a raft on the Verde? If so what size boat and what was the flow? I have seen pictures and videos of people who have, but I am not sure what the water level needs to be since it is such a narrow river.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I ran a 12' aire trib a couple times from Beasley to child's. Best if over 600. But the first time started at 800 and ended up about 400 and scraping over rocks. Second trip we ran R2 from Beasley to Gap Creek at about around 800. Fun Except for the hike out.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Rowing the Verde

Over the years the Verde has become quite overgrown with midchannel willows in some places. It is possible to get a row rig down the Verde but the higher the flow, one wants to be careful in a few places. After gap creek there is a riverwide line of willows. I haven't seen the willow fence in a few years but the last time we were through we found the best alley and then as we approached we shipped the oars and hoped for the best. You could easily portage around as the Verde doesn't gorge up like Tonto Creek or the Salt. It was at 800 cfs so not to pushy and doable. After sheeps crossing is another area with similar complications.

Paddleboats are much easier to handle due to the currents and middle channel trees in alot of areas. During the high water season one is sure to find an abandoned canoe wrapped around a tree.

The Verde channels pretty good at lower waters as much of the time it is running 100-200 cfs. I have taken a 14 foot boat down at 400 cfs but I am very tolerant of portaging the falls, and jumping off the boat to get her unhooked from a rock in the shallows below the eagle nesting area and above palisades. After Childs you can get a bump from the East Verde.

Mini mees are the ultimate.

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
Tonto Creek

Rye Creek to Tonto Creek is another fun one for a daily. The shuttle is super easy, and the river goes from Verde style to Salt River Gorge Style. Back in the 80's-90's there was a death when some folks tried to run it at high high water. We've run it from 500 to 2K. Anyone ran it higher? What did you see?

Our 14 footer just cleared the slot width")

Another particular spot the river closes in, and runs smack dab into a rock that comes off the right shore with no escape to the right as it looked. (this is at the spot with the foam, sorry no better picture) At higher flows( we ran at 2k) it seems this would be a troubling area. Depending on what's rapped on the rock underwater, and how much flow( above 2K ) puts you back in the current the potential for suckage is great at high water. It would be interesting to see the hydraulics going on at this spot?!?

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
1 - 20 of 105 Posts