Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where to get good solid block ice in the SLC area? I would love to know if there is a good ice source. Alll I can find are the crappy compressed blocks at grocery store. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Utah Whitewater Gear is the only place in the Salt Lake valley that I have found that carries solid block ice. Orem is a bit of a drive to get ice from Tour Ice. I think UWG brings the ice up from Tour Ice to their store??? Get block ice, pick up any gear you need, and visit with some nice folks. Anthony and Clinton are great.

That reminds me......I better talk to them about getting some ice for a mid September Main Salmon.

Reactions: 801firefighter

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been in to UWG before and got some, but they don't have much. They have a tiny little freezer and last time I was in there they didn't have any. So I'm looking for a more reliable source.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I agree, just get it from the guys at UWG.

But there are a couple of ice suppliers in Salt Lake. Spiffy Ice and Reddy Ice both have it available. I believe you can also get dry ice from both of them.

DanCan
Where are these two places located and how do you get the ice? Walk in and buy it, or order it ahead of time?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Tour Ice is the only ice company in the Salt Lake Valley that makes the good stuff in a usable size (10lb block). Spiffy is great if you want a 500 lb block.

Some of the shaved-ice treat kiosks that open up around SLC during the summer use ice from Tour. Ocean Ice is a good one - talk to Randy.

Ocean Ice, shaved ice, Utah, catering

If you call ahead they will make sure to have enough in stock.

The problem with UWG, Ocean, and any others is that they are not open for early and late trips. That's when you bite the bullet and drive to Orem to Tour Ice.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Spiffy Ice is long gone - I contacted some of the former employees last year for a Grand trip and managed to wrangle a 300# sculpting block from a house in Taylorsville where they moved one of their reefers and make it on site but it was a BIG hassle. Anthony and Clinton at UWG get their ice from Tour Ice in Orem, and long story short, that's the only reliable supply I know of between SLC and Flagstaff (PRO makes their own ice there). If you call Tour Ice at least a week or so in advance you can likely work out delivery to somewhere in SLC as they do supply a bunch of places and all you'd have to do is coordinate taking possession of your order.
Related topic: anyone know where you can have a couple of coolers frozen (layer by layer, etc.) in/near SLC? Good clear ice is great but frozen coolers last longer, esp. if you throw a little dry ice on top at put-in or on the way, and DO NOT open until day 5 or so... actually best to just open the drain and see if you get any water out. Torrent means better investimigate asap, trickle means good to go for another 3-4 days at least. I've carried a cooler full of good block ice w/dry ice on top 5 days down to Phantom, duct taped shut and wet towels the whole way, in July - and opened it to find the blocks just about perfectly original. Yes, you can bum/trade ice w/commercials but nice to be self-reliant.
It's all good - the best ice might be what you make in your chest freezer, I use the 64 or 58 oz. orange juice containers, good quality SLC water, pack in cooler and fill voids with beers or whatever, use cube ice to fill whatever space remains, let the whole thing sit for a day and throw 5# dry ice on top ($1.29/lb at Fresh Market/Dan's, wherever you can find it). Works just fine in 100+ degree days in old school coolers for up to a week, you have cool/cold water to drink as you de-commission your cooler.
Again, who will freeze a cooler in SLC vicinity? Thanks and regards.

·
Registered
166 Posts
My experience is the same as B4otter's. He didn't mention the special challenge of driving home with a 300 lb block of ice in the bed of an otherwise empty pickup. I'd try search for ice sculptures in SLC- that is what those blocks are made for. See if they have a source. My experience in Taylorsville wasn't actually that bad, aside from the drive home, but it was weird doing a cash deal in a driveway in a sketchy hood. And the ice worked great, once I cut it into useable pieces with a chainsaw..

·
Registered
500 Posts
Paulster - that was exactly my experience. We did bring an old sleeping bag to wrap the block in, and cut it with chain saw within the hour - enough to fill 3 big coolers and it was great quality ice. But forking over cash at 0630 in a driveway to way sketchy characters was beyond weird...
tmacc - thanks! will give them a call, their location is great! SYOTR.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Ford's meat locker in Provo layer froze some coolers for us for us about 5 years ago for a July Grand trip. It was a novel request for them, but they were happy to take our money. They have a huge walk-in freezer--like an entire basement. We filled the coolers with our food and had them add a couple inches of water a day, and picked them up about 6 days later.

Duck taped them shut and wrapped the coolers in burlap that we (or the rapids) kept wet for an evaporative air conditioning effect. Clearly marked with "DO NOT OPEN UNTIL DAY X"

Opened one cooler on Day 12 of a this July trip, with plenty of ice still intact. Once you open them, it disappears fast though. And this was just a regular Sam's club Igloo cooler, nothing too fancy. I wouldn't use this technique for days 1-6 or so, though or you'll just have to leave your cooler open for half a day so the block will unfreeze. Just use jugs or blocks for the coolers for those days.

If you have a meat locker, cold storage or walk-in freezer connection in your neighborhood, strongly recommend this approach for a Grand Canyon Trip.

Its honestly a bit overkill for a Main Salmon trip though ... just freeze jugs of water in a chest freezer and they've always lasted until day 7 or 8 for us if you keep the coolers shut -- and since its jugged, you can include that in your water supply.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I honestly can't say, i don't know how to tell the difference. We take them on all the trips we do, 5 days on Lodore first week in July and they kept our coolers cold right to the end.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I've never seen anything but compressed ice at grocery stores. It can be hard to find even the crappy ice around here in the summer. Grocery stores don't seem to make the compressed blocks as much as they used to. I guess I better pick up some blocks from UWG soon (if they have some) and store it in my freezer until my MS trip next month. I also supplement with the frozen water jugs also.

·
Registered
796 Posts
The 2.5 gallon water squares or whatever you want to call them go on their side like they were measured by yeti to fit there, in my old 120 anyway. Even rounded on two corners. Anyways have a couple in the basement deep freeze.

5 days sounds like compressed ice, isn't very long. Good ice is clear, the grocery store stuff is all white and hazy, they aerate the heck out of it while they are making it. You end up buying half air and it melts way faster. Making your own ice is the way to go.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Utah Ice Works sells sculpture ice.

Ninety five bucks for a 300 lb block and they'll cut them down for $10 per cut. Not realistic for most boater's needs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Spiffy ice in SLC has the best prices! $60 for 300 pound ice. Usually $10 a cut but Theron cut it for me for free! Was available for same day pick up!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts