Mountain Buzz banner

Salt coming up

2281 22
Hey Buzzards, the Salt is coming up again this weekend. Catch it if you can. Just got off on 1/10/23 and the blockage at Horseshoe Bend is cleared out enough for rafts. See my other post for a picture:

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
As near as I can tell via https://www.cbrfc.noaa.gov/dbdata/station/flowgraph/flowgraph_hc2.html?id=SLCA3 the predictions it'll be back around 900? or so shortly? Is that still runnable in a little bitty oar rig? My stoke just got up. Know very little bout the Salt but it looks rad for January boating.
It is rad and absolutely worth the effort.

The Salt is a gaining river, sometimes by quite a lot. I got off on 1/10/23 on about 850 cfs at the Roosevelt gage, and that was no problem at the bottom for 14' rafts. It looks like it'll be above 750 cfs through 1/26 at the take-out (look at the tabular data below the plot):

As mentioned above, just make sure that you and your crew have your act together. Also, you can only get Apache permits at the Sinclair gas station between the put-in and Show Low. The tribal police were cool but asked us for our permits, so don't blow it off.

· Registered
207 Posts
My back is nearly broken from shoveling so much, and my feet are sick of ski boots.
I'm ready to sit on a boat in the sonoran desert for a week and get away from work.
Permits required March 1 - May 15. Not sure what is required for off-season boating.
I haven't been (yet) but I cant imagine it being better that MFS.
It comes nowhere close to the MFS but it is a great trip. It just seems odd to be in the middle of a desert with cactus all over rafting on a river. The views at sunrise and sunset are wonderful.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts