Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Buzzards, the Salt is coming up again this weekend. Catch it if you can. Just got off on 1/10/23 and the blockage at Horseshoe Bend is cleared out enough for rafts. See my other post for a picture:

· Registered
1,798 Posts
It’s January and most guys on here aren’t even thinking about boating? Are they? Iam fixing snowmobiles and going skiing? I guess maybe you far west guys might be? Or just locals? Good to know for next year though! And no permit is nessacary? It’s a beautiful whitewater run ! Better than mfs as far as rapids? They look burlier anyway on video lol

· Registered
707 Posts
My back is nearly broken from shoveling so much, and my feet are sick of ski boots.
I'm ready to sit on a boat in the sonoran desert for a week and get away from work.
Permits required March 1 - May 15. Not sure what is required for off-season boating.
I haven't been (yet) but I cant imagine it being better that MFS.

· Registered
610 Posts
It’s January and most guys on here aren’t even thinking about boating? Are they? Iam fixing snowmobiles and going skiing? I guess maybe you far west guys might be? Or just locals? Good to know for next year though! And no permit is nessacary? It’s a beautiful whitewater run ! Better than mfs as far as rapids? They look burlier anyway on video lol
Me and my buddy are building six ash oars for two phat cats and I'm assembling a frame. I'm thinking about it.

· Registered
1,798 Posts
American whitewater says 4+ 5 . What flows and ratings do you give it. It’s above their recommended flow lol! It looks really fun but class v’s way beyond my comfort level. Should run for two three weeks or more? Or will it be gone just as fast?

· Registered
40 Posts
any river can kill you right? I have only done it at 5,000 CFS and dropping (i would rate that level at 4+, similar-ish to brown's canyon or taos box at the same flows), the Salt is a joyful beauty ride through the saguaro cactus desert forest, incredible landscape, with unexpected pockets of lush green life amidst the harshness ... and there are real consequences, powerful rapids, cold water, long swims ... I would probably run away with my tail between my legs if I saw it at 34,000

· Registered
1,341 Posts
The river ranger dude says it’s all fun and games up to 7k. (But as Zach stated above you had better be with a solid crew.). I would add that you had better bring your friggin A game. Continuous fast water with virtually no time to drink a beer up top. Stay safe out there.

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 23 Posts