Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading from southern oregon to put in on main salmon on tues the 25 th. There is bad smoke creeping in this night on top off days old smoke....wanting to seek clean air where the swany swans fly---does anyone have any good intel on a main salmon run --- are we headed to lung crushing air or can we survive with laughter in our dreams? Please advise! -- The Rogue Valley is s m o k e y

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I'm not sure about Idaho, but the Salt Lake valley is filled with smoke from the fires in Norcal and Oregon. Yesterday you couldn't see across the valley. Bummer. Are there any active fires around the Main Salmon? I haven't seen any posts about any?

·
IDGriz
3 Posts
Took off the Main on Sunday and the river was quite smoky, especially around Campbell's Ferry. The Campbell's fire has grown since then.

The river level is low and the flow is slow, suggest early starts to avoid up-stream winds in the afternoons.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I was at Corn this weekend and it's pretty smokey - I've definitely seen worse but you won't be getting your desired clean mountain air unfortunately.

There are ALOT of fires burning in Idaho and Montana right now. Including a few "near" both the MF and Main (but I don't think any on the rivers themselves). There was a dozen crew trucks parked just west of Shoup and a helicopter flying in supplies on Saturday. There was a hotshot crew in the in the Shoup store on sunday and they were discussing several local fires.

The ranger at corn said that they were hurting for crews as a bunch had been sent to fires in Alaska just before this blow up (on Thursday and Friday). They were hoping to get some back or folks from elsewhere but that they didn't have nearly enough folks for all the fires.

On the good side, it's been much cooler the last few days and crews got our local fire pretty much contained, so hopefully the weather will help the other fires and some crews can get re-deployed.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
2 active fires on the MFS and 2 on the Main. The Campbell is the largest but the one by Crofoot Peak is still burning close to the river.

If you have Google Earth here is the link to KML Files

Feel for those with relevant health problems as the smoke is horrible across most of the west. I was getting ill for the 3 days I was in Spokane this past weekend. Lightening strike wildfires were popping up left and right this past week; my friends we backpacking on the Selway and they could see at least 2 new fires blowup downstream of them in the 4 nights they were there.

Phillip

·
Registered
13 Posts
Another Fire Passer

We put-in at Corn Creek on August 12 and had some very smoky days on the main Salmon. The fire at Campbell's Ferry was dramatic, burning visibly from the river, several pump lines for structure protection on river left as we passed the bridge. On take-out day, August 17, we drove south of Riggins toward Cambridge and saw a lot of fire-fighter traffic associated with the Teepee Fire, including a huge personnel camp just off the highway. Still had a wonderful trip, thanks to all the fire-fighters out there!

·
Registered
10 Posts
We just took out on the 17th, and floated by the Campbell fire, with active burning, and wild land fire personnel being transported by jet boat.. super smokey on night of the 13th, as we camped just above at Mallard. Micro burst winds that night as well, snapping large dead trees.. kinda creepy. But floated out of the thick smoke past the fire, and downriver a bit. Last day on river was very smokey, but due to other fires..

Another note: lots of bear activity on the river! Had a bear in camp with us at Hancock beach! Just a little guy, more scared than anything, but very curious, and hung out in a tree above us. Saw two more bears that next morning while floating, on river right..

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies thus far. This is helpful info. Any further trip reports or updates would also be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I spoke with Mi'chelle from All River Shuttles yesterday. She said that it is very smoky down at corn creek and that I should be sure to check Idaho 511 to make sure there are no road closures as there are fires north of Salmon. Smoke or no smoke I'm sure it will be a blast. Love the big beaches down on the Main this time of year. With all that smoke I wonder if the yellowjackets have cleared out a bit.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Thanks for the info. We launch 9/10 so maybe things will settle down by then. I remember a fall MS in 2005. We saw 11 bears in 6 river days. We floated through the fires in 2007. Weird, but really interesting trip. I do recall that the smoke made the yellow jackets super aggressive and crazy. Everybody stay safe out there!

·
Registered
362 Posts
As Alan mentioned, we put in on the MS on the 2nd. I was wondering if all open campfires are banned currently. Charcoal? Those of you who recently came off the Main, any restrictions you know of?

Sent from my SM-G530T using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Paddling in to the Future
574 Posts
half the state of Idaho is on fire. It's going to be smokey, but there are not active fires along the Main Salmon at this moment (according to Inciweb)
we took off the main on Aug 7, it was just a bit smokey on the last couple days, but the afternoon winds blowing upstream did suck in all that flat water the last few days too. So keep that in mind. in the morning the wind was down stream, but it quickly changed around 3pm and made for a long day or lots of work, depending on how committed you were getting to camp.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The Campbell Fire is immediately south of the main Salmon, firefighters protecting the structures at Campbell's Ferry, the bridge, and Jim Moore.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
10 Posts
Was an awesome trip otherwise!! (see above post) Wasps are there, but not horrible.. only a few stings in our group.. Water level was fun for our average level of intermediate boaters. Lots of Osprey, ducks, bald eagles, deer, and the little bears. Sun and sand, it was beautiful! We used charcoal for dutch ovens, but only had a camp fire the first night after a big rain.

·
IDGriz
3 Posts
Bees

Regarding bees, they were plentiful last week, the popular camps were worse than the seldom-used ones. Magpie was thick with them.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Just got home today. Put on the 13th. Had lightning the night of the 13th and a microburst the night of the 14th or 15th. Trees snapping sounded like gun shots. Nobody slept well that night and I think the Campbell fire really got going with that wind. Floated by active fire the next day and there was lots of smoke and it was worse in the morning with the inversions. Got out of active fire around Whiplash. Unfortunately there are so many other fires that the smoke is pretty potent everywhere that we drove to get home to Montana. It was still an awesome float.

·
Registered
16 Posts
What'd you decide

Bongo- my wife and I have a permit for the Main launching 8/25 as well but are considering shifting to the Rogue instead. We raft the Rogue frequently but have not done the Main and were/are really looking forward to it. Trading good air quality for unhealthy-moderate has us wondering if we'd be better off saving our $/time until next year. What did you guys decide?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts