Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of any good sources for information for planning a salmon river self supported kayaking trip? Books, websites, personal knowledge? Internet searches just turn up tons of cushy, pricey guided "adventures". I would like to plan something cheap on my own with a few friends realizing that this will take quite a bit of planning and possibly years of waiting for a permit.

Thanks!
Andrew
[email protected]

·
Registered
342 Posts
Andrew,
If you plan to run the Salmon through the "river of no return" section, you can launch prior to permit season which starts June 20 (I think). I've never run it, but I've heard it gets really big and not very technical 3+ to 4 nature at early season high levels. It's dry up there this year so it might be boring and low even during runoff. Low flows are class 3. There are many runs on the salmon you can check into that don't require permits higher in the basin. "Idaho the Whitewater State" has the scoop.
Curtis

·
Registered
2 Posts
My buddy who guided up there for 10 years has just written an excellent guide book. If you are interested here is a link blackcanyonguides.com. That last post was right about June 20th. I usually go the week before and it is great. It does get big and pushy at that time of year if it is flowing high. Won't have to worry about that this year. However when it is low the surfing is much better. The camps on the Main Salmon are hard to beat. Rapids are generally class III. If you have any specific questions let me know.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks very much for the info! THat site and the guide book look awesome. Might try to do it before June 20th this year. Sounds like a really fun river.

Andrew

·
Registered
19 Posts
river of no return

I guide on the river of no return section. It is an amazing camp trip! The campsites are awesome and for a class 3-4 river it is really fun. Certain rapids can be pushy early season, but this year it should be pretty chill. If you have any questions on campsites or rapids look me up
[email protected]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts