Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like the Main, Middle Fork and Lower Salmon all took tremendous jumps in flow in the past week. Out here in Oregon our rivers did the same due to heavy rain on top of above average snowpack for this date. I'm curious if the Salmon Basin has also gotten these heavy rains to trigger the big spike in flows?

·
Registered
795 Posts
Yes...it rained every day last week combined with warmer temps at night. The Payette's spiked Fri/Sat. as well. Flash flood warnings were issued on Friday....

·
Registered
124 Posts
In 9 years of paddling in ID since moving from CO I have never seen a release of 6000 CFS out of cascade. I guess they are testing the strength of the concrete in the new cascade WW park right out of the gate. That puts the NF prob around 7500. It's all you can eat astronomical volume class V+. Come and get it. Man I'm glad I'm working this weekend! Main payette went to about 21,500 yesterday. Again, this is the highest I have seen it.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
We are due to launch on the Main Salmon in 6 days. As of last week we were on the train to happy town, looking at nice flows for a fun family trip. Now it's at flood stage. At least 9 ft. at Corn Creek with rain predicted on & off this week. Not sure what will happen by Saturday, but we're thinking of Plan B at this point (maybe a Deso trip instead) ????????
KJ

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yep, the Payettes were running big and brown yesterday. Touched both bridges with my paddle as I finished my runs.

The all-time high water record for the North Fork will be up for grabs for the next few days. The dam is supposed to be releasing 6 or 7 grand and there is still a good amount of flow coming in from tributaries. The lower 5 was bigger than I have ever seen it and the upper and middle look out of control and terminal if you were to come out of your boat. Stay safe up there.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Talked to a guide friend of mine in Idaho this am, he was getting reports of double layovers at campsites to let wood pass on the Middle Fork, and a scared guide who doesn't want to get back on the river. Lots of flips happening, be safe out there! It hit 8.68 ft yesterday and has dropped down to 7.3 feet and dropping steadily.

I wish I was out there... Not in my driftboat though! I still have two weeks until my first trip.....

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like an amazing phenomenon, same as out here. The Rogue jumped within a couple days from 2500 or so to 11,000 at Grants Pass, and around 20,000 at Agness. The Klamath went to 11,000 at Seiad and 30,000 at Orleans; the Cal Salmon to around 9500. Insane amount of water that typically only rises that fast during Pineapple Express storms in January! But basically that's what this series of storms was - prolonged warm rain on top of a high elevation snowpack. I have deferred a scheduled Rogue trip a couple of times now, waiting for a more reasonable 6000 cfs or so flow (plus hoping the sun will come back out someday).

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sounds like an amazing phenomenon, same as out here. The Rogue jumped within a couple days from 2500 or so to 11,000 at Grants Pass, and around 20,000 at Agness. The Klamath went to 11,000 at Seiad and 30,000 at Orleans; the Cal Salmon to around 9500. Insane amount of water that typically only rises that fast during Pineapple Express storms in January! But basically that's what this series of storms was - prolonged warm rain on top of a high elevation snowpack. I have deferred a scheduled Rogue trip a couple of times now, waiting for a more reasonable 6000 cfs or so flow (plus hoping the sun will come back out someday).
I grew up in Grants Pass, and my folks are still there. I'm hearing the same crazy reports about Southern Oregon. The Lower Rogue is actually pretty fun at those higher levels (as long as there's not too much lumber). Lots and Lots of water everywhere, including Anacortes, where I'm currently stuck for the time being...it just won't stop raining.

·
Registered
806 Posts
The Rogue jumped within a couple days from 2500 or so to 11,000 at Grants Pass, and around 20,000 at Agness. I have deferred a scheduled Rogue trip a couple of times now, waiting for a more reasonable 6000 cfs or so flow (plus hoping the sun will come back out someday).
My son is supposed to be getting off the Rogue today after launching June 2. It will be interesting to hear what he has to say about the high water.

·
Registered
610 Posts
We launched the 25th and took off on on the 3rd I believe on a middle/main trip. In the 12 days or so we where in ID it rained every day. We got sick of all the rain and the river was getting BIG and woody so we took off 2 days early.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Yes, how about Grave Creek to Foster Bar in a day??
Let's totally hijack this thing. But I guess it is OK since daveb1 started this thread. Grave Creek to Foster in a day would be easy and I guess would be lots of fun. This my son yesterday at Blossom at about 17K on the Agness gauge. Picket Fence? Heck most of the rocks are gone! This was his first big trip that he organized and led himself. Nine kids just done with school had a great time on the river.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got off the Middle Fork yesterday (Saturday, June 6th) The water in Impassible Canyon was the biggest I've ever seen. Out of a trip of 13 people, 7 of us plus a dog swam in the last 20 miles including me. Definitely the longest and hairiest swim I've ever taken. We lost 3 boats plus a shredder but we were able to recover one boat between Cache Bar and Corn Creek. If any of you on your Main trips see a purple Maravia or a yellow Hyside let me know. Loved the river and will definitely do it again but next time I think I'll wait until July.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts