Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,607 Posts
well yeah, but both were being talked about. Thought you didn't see it and might want to see the rest of the discussion. Holy cow is it smoky here, how is it down in Salmon?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it wasn't too bad yesterday untill the storms blew in yesterday evening and now it is terrible.. cant tell we are surrounded by mountains. we just got off the main saterday.. camped across from the fire at groundhog and watched the show..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
New shit has come to light. Shuttle service called literally 5 minutes before we hit the road for corn. Shuttle canceled. Main Salmon closed. Shit.


Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,344 Posts
New shit has come to light. Shuttle service called literally 5 minutes before we hit the road for corn. Shuttle canceled. Main Salmon closed. Shit.


Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Bummer. So what does the North Fork Ranger advise? Are you SOL, or can you reschedule/get a rain check for next season????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Didn't talk with the ranger. We just changed gears and dumped the permit. We grabbed a Saturday Deso so we're off for true adventure. Adapt and improvise.


Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,344 Posts
Didn't talk with the ranger. We just changed gears and dumped the permit. We grabbed a Saturday Deso so we're off for true adventure. Adapt and improvise.


Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Good for you! Any time on the river is a good time. Bummer about your Main Salmon trip though. We have a launch in about 1.5 weeks, so I've got my fingers crossed that things simmer down by then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
I thought this was just on the lower Salmon???? Why does this effect a Main Salmon launch. Is it just cause the road out is being threatened?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,344 Posts
I thought this was just on the lower Salmon???? Why does this effect a Main Salmon launch. Is it just cause the road out is being threatened?
This is on the Main Salmon. It's closed because the only road out at the end of the trip is on fire. They were re-routing people on a forest service road, but now that's on fire as well. Sounds like the town of Riggins is on alert to evacuate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,607 Posts
Apparently they are considering anything below Carey cr to be the Lower. I understood the more common designation to be that the Lower starts at whitebird.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Fire is ten miles from Riggins as of tonight. ALL groups that landed at Carey ramp piloted out at 330 PM today with sherriff/forest service pilot car. Fire is active. Rafters are holding up now at Shepp Ranch until further notice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
DANG! The fire weather forecast is looking grim. Idaho needs a season ending event. Thoughts and prayers for the people who live in the hot zone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Some rafters escape fire on Salmon River, others still trapped
Nina Culver The Spokesman-Review

Officials were able to evacuate 70 Salmon River rafters Friday, but boulders and other falling debris have blocked the road out, trapping the remaining rafters.

On Wednesday officials took the rare step of closing an 18 mile stretch of the Lower Salmon River from French Creek to Riggins, Idaho, because of the approaching Tepee Springs Fire. Rafters were pulled off the river and shuttled to McCall, Idaho. Since then the Salmon River Road has been closed and residents evacuated.

A group of rafters were escorted out to Riggins via the Salmon River Road Friday, but the road is now blocked by debris, according to the Bureau of Land Management. Efforts to evacuate the rafters to Riggins will resume once the road is cleared.

Forest road 246, which was originally used to evacuate rafters to McCall, is now threatened by fire. The Tepee Springs Fire is at more than 48,000 acres and moving north.

No new rafters are being allowed to launch upstream and rafters that are already on the river above the closed area are being asked to stay where they are.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Riggins Weather

I tend to use the noaa weather, they think 80% chance of rain in Riggins today. But with more winds. Humidity and rain should help a little, and the colder air behind this front should help too. National Weather Service Best wishes to the nervous people of Riggins and Whitebird. (hi Michelle, chin up!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,344 Posts
T-Minus 10 days and counting for our Main Salmon launch. The river is still closed and from the Inciweb map the fire has grown over the weekend towards the north and the east. Any news on an evacuation of Riggins??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,607 Posts
No but last night we had crazy winds from the east and there was a lot of rain to the west of us. Hopefully they got rain and the fire burned back on itself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,261 Posts
Temps to drop and humidity to rise which is normally a good sign for fire suppression. Hopefully the weather pattern predicted of Wednesday onward will be more wet and have less dry lightening that the series of storms that set off the ID, WA, OR and MT conflagrations in the first place. The meteorologists don't have a good idea of what will happen starting friday because of the storms in the pacific.

25% containment and limited national resources does not bode well for river runners. The inciweb update from yesterday makes it clear they are focusing on Riggins and nearby structures so I am guessing the line elsewhere is making noticeable runs.

Phillip
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Top