Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm a very lucky boy this year! I won a Main Salmon permit but also had a friend that picked up a Snake permit and has invited me. They both launch in late June. We have not been on either stretch and are trying to decide which permit to keep.

Just curious...what would you do if you were in my shoes? Salmon or snake...and why?

Thanks,
Gavin

·
Super Moderator
2,900 Posts
Salmon. Prettier. Cleaner Water. Hotter chicks. Literally.

Hells in late June will be hot as fuck. Salmon will be hot but manageable. My two cents.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Agree with Carve Dog. Salmon is also a longer whitewater trip, so more river miles for your permit money.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
hells canyon cancellations are really easy to pick up... We do an august hells every year... lol we dont mind the heat lots of swimming and fishing.. i would take the main..

·
Registered
806 Posts
I was the TL on a Main Salmon trip last July, took two of my kids, and a fun group, and would go back in a heartbeat. Beautiful river and camps, great rapids, fun but not scary. Hmmm, maybe you want another rafter? :)

Snake is fun with a few big rapids but IMO not the same wilderness trip as the Main. You can also consider a jet up or jet back for your shuttle and get to see the river from the upstream perspective. Takes about 4 hours that took you 6 days to get down. The price, assuming you fill the boat up, isn't all that much more than the car shuttles, minus the 600 mile trip plus gas on your truck and trailer, and the trip back via Riggins.

PS. I have lots of info to share from our trip if you head to the Main. Have fun.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
The Main Salmon sucks. Let me help you out and take that permit off your hands.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Main - no contest. Also as someone else said cancellations on Hells are easy to pick up. In fact if you look carefully you could maybe get a Hells right after you take out of the Main and increase you bang for bucks.

·
Jared
733 Posts
A buddy of mine got a Snake permit, launch is the 6th of July (HOT!) Not sure I get the time off yet. I've seen Wild Sheep rapid in a jet boat, curious as to how the rest is? I know there are more rapids, just looking for more good beta. Oh, and LOL Cataraftgirl

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
A buddy of mine got a Snake permit, launch is the 6th of July (HOT!) Not sure I get the time off yet. I've seen Wild Sheep rapid in a jet boat, curious as to how the rest is? I know there are more rapids, just looking for more good beta. Oh, and LOL Cataraftgirl
What can I say. Just trying to be helpul :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Granite Rapid Hells Canyon

There is granite rapid! if the flow is around 20,000cfs the green room is runnable!

Attachments

·
Registered
362 Posts
I'm here to help!!!

I will gladly pack the groover in my boat for you guys on your Main trip. Always willing to do my share ;)

·
Registered
503 Posts
There is granite rapid! if the flow is around 20,000cfs the green room is runnable!
This does raise a question. I've always understood that the "Green Room" in Cache Creek Rapid (which is the geographically correct name for Granite Falls) occurs only at certain water levels, when the backrolling wave at the bottom of the tongue forms a full curl. It seems that in the YouTube era, people have started referring to the tongue as the Green Room, but I think that does a disservice to people who have actually run the real Green Room.

For many years, there was a large photo on the wall in the basement of the Andy & Bax store in Portland showing a large raft inside the curl of that wave--one of the best rafting photos ever. I think the raft was being rowed by Dan Baxter.

·
Registered
787 Posts
This does raise a question. I've always understood that the "Green Room" in Cache Creek Rapid (which is the geographically correct name for Granite Falls) occurs only at certain water levels, when the backrolling wave at the bottom of the tongue forms a full curl. It seems that in the YouTube era, people have started referring to the tongue as the Green Room, but I think that does a disservice to people who have actually run the real Green Room.

For many years, there was a large photo on the wall in the basement of the Andy & Bax store in Portland showing a large raft inside the curl of that wave--one of the best rafting photos ever. I think the raft was being rowed by Dan Baxter.
Is this enough Green Room for you?

Salmon. Prettier. Cleaner Water. Hotter chicks. Literally.

Hells in late June will be hot as fuck. Salmon will be hot but manageable. My two cents.
Carverdog, what is the deal with the chicks being hotter on the main. I totally agree, but don't know why that river brings them all out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
So I'm a very lucky boy this year! I won a Main Salmon permit but also had a friend that picked up a Snake permit and has invited me. They both launch in late June. We have not been on either stretch and are trying to decide which permit to keep.

Just curious...what would you do if you were in my shoes? Salmon or snake...and why?

Thanks,
Gavin

What's your launch on the main? We pulled a June 18th Middle Fork and am trying to find folks who pulled June 23-26 in order to plan the epic back to back dream trip. If that's you we should chat... Live in Idaho and have done both rivers several times :)...

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

1 - 18 of 18 Posts