Mountain Buzz banner
81 - 100 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Salmon River Road Closure
Moose Fire Wildfire
Announcements – 7 hrs. ago
NOTICE: Today, the Pilot Car System will be in operation through the morning hours for residents, permit holders and shuttles, however; a full closure will be in effect by late morning of the Salmon River Road to safely conduct fire operations. This is a hard closure that will last until approximately 9:00pm. The river road is closed to all other traffic.  FYI!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Salmon River Road Closure
Moose Fire Wildfire
Announcements – 7 hrs. ago
NOTICE: Today, the Pilot Car System will be in operation through the morning hours for residents, permit holders and shuttles, however; a full closure will be in effect by late morning of the Salmon River Road to safely conduct fire operations. This is a hard closure that will last until approximately 9:00pm. The river road is closed to all other traffic.  FYI!!!
Where did you find this?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was supposed to launch on the Main today but got Covid and am not healthy enough to go. Damn! My family went without me and launched successfully.
Oh damn, get well soon!

I had a big Main trip that got cancelled less than 48 hours earlier this month due to a Covid positive test. Literally hours from finishing packing, boats stacked on the trailer, folks fired up - it suuucked. Group broke up and some did Vinegar to Hammer and some went fishing, but my family had to quarantine. Forest Service was cool about it and at least didn't penalize me for a cancellation 24 hours from launch.

Good news is I picked up a 8/18 Main cancellation. Hoping fires and pandemics let us launch.

·
Registered
128 Posts
One assumes they were working to get that big chopper out of the river?
I'd like to see some shots\video of that.
Drove by today... the aircraft, or most of it, appears to be out of the water. Sitting there on the ground near Indianola. A huge giant crane installed there. Pretty wild to see up close but also hard to look at too long. Sad stuff.

·
Registered
23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just got off the Middle Fork and happy to report that everything is fine.
Trip was 7/28-8/3 with water at 2.18ft at Boundary Creek. The river gods blessed us with good weather and hardly any smoke at all. We did wake up 7/31 with the waters running almost black from what must have been a blowout upstream from a brief thunderstorm. This thankfully cleared within 24 hours.
The drive out was uneventful. Salmon Road was open with a pilot car last departure 7pm. Sobering to see the hillsides charred for many miles going eastward, with several small active flames dotting the hills.
The helicopter is all gone now. Deep thanks to all the people who fought to save this beautiful corner of the world.

BTW saw multiple large mobile cranes scattered along the riverside. Any idea what these are for? Hoisting hoses to spray the opposite south side of the river?

81 - 100 of 111 Posts