Mountain Buzz banner
61 - 80 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Any recent trip reports from folks taking off Main Salmon and MFS? We have a launch coming up this weekend on the Main. I know many folks and other groups on here are wondering about smoke along the river, pilot car operation and what to expect in general getting to and from put-in along salmon river road. Alternate route if any one has used them, etc. Thanks! Stay safe.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Looking at this map, Lemhi county is in a fire restriction but Valley is not, with the MFS being the border between two counties. Launching a MFS trip 7/31, should I assume that is a fire restriction for the river corridor? I guess this is an email that should go to the forest service but I bet they're off the clock.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Most often in the past, even with fire restrictions on, fires have been exempt on the Main and MFS due to the gear requirements. It does depend on the emergency order there is typically an exemption.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Are there any other sites also that I could monitor which would have updates on the Main Salmon fires and peeps hopefully able to put in. We have a launch date coming up quickly and it seems it's not looking good...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Today I talked w/ the guy on the ‘fire info pilot car’ number listed on the notifications area for main salmon and he said pilot cars are running regularly through the evening. Might be good to budget some extra time, but alt routes don’t seem to be in play. With caveat that fire is dynamic and situations change…

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yikes! What does "I would re-think" mean? Is that a brutal route? We've got a Main launch on the 29th and I'm just trying to plan a bit before relatives come in from outside the area for the trip.
Stay in touch with Salmon Challis Forest Service. Also Inciweb. This fire is now up to almost 30,000 acres. Not sure where you are coming from but 93 North to Montana could have closures and delays.

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
Are there any other sites also that I could monitor which would have updates on the Main Salmon fires and peeps hopefully able to put in. We have a launch date coming up quickly and it seems it's not looking good...
🤣

·
Registered
263 Posts
I spoke with someone from the river office and my shuttle company and they both said that the pilot car is running regularly throughout the day and trips are continuing as planned... I'm calling it a go for my trip that launches on the 11th.

61 - 80 of 111 Posts