Mountain Buzz banner
41 - 60 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
This is close. Do not take moccasin to napias. Stay left on deep creek. The way Google maps usually shows you to take napias is washed out. You can take napias another way but it is not recomended.. take deep creek. Is napias doable? sure... is it the best route? No.. are you more likely to get misled? yes.

You guys won't see me comment on the helicopter crash. I work in Healthcare here and it's a slippery slope. Just don't think I'm an ass for failing to respond to or acknowledge posts regarding it. I fought fire for 7 years while going through college "No not a doctor after seven years" and feel for everyone involved.
I applaud your professionalism. Thank you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
534 Posts
Sounds as though 2 pilots onboard CH-47 Chinook at the time. Reported went down into the river. Keep them in your thoughts.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
Curious if/how soon the FS will evaluate 30 after the fire either passes through or is hopefully extinguished. Was a fire that burnt through a huge area of medicine bow natl forest in SE Wyoming in the summer a few years back and FS didn’t even look at many of the roads until after the next spring’s snowmelt had passed. Have an August 9 launch on the main and don’t want to get unrealistic hopes that 30 will be open even if the fire has moved through or been put out.
I have a permit for the 11th! Fingers crossed we can all make it there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
We have a MFS launching this next week. It may start to feel committing... these fire situations change so rapidly. And the commitment of dropping in to the MFS without knowing the road/egress status a week out (we take out Aug 1) sure may feel interesting... launching on the Main is one thing (either you get to Corn or you don't... and for now, there's no fire issues downstream) but the MF feels like rolling the dice a bit with wondering what the world will be like many days later.

I wonder what would happen to folks coming off the MF if the doo-doo hit the fan and the river road and Panther both closed (I realize that the fire is still far from closing Panther... but weirder things have happened!). Maybe they'd just send us on down river... that'd be fun but man we'd be licking the inside of the peanut butter jars by the end, that's for sure!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Living here in Salmon I can tell you this fire is just blowing up right now. Evacuation orders are no be ready - GO. As a shuttle driver and the only route now over Panther Creek and Williams? I would re-think but that is just me. 35 mph winds, hot and meh! Not so much. Check with your contacts and online for hour by hour updates. This is hot crazy wind and it won't end well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
237 Posts
Sad news about the pilots. Heart goes out to their families and friends. Had an emergency helo evac for a member of our group on a middle fork trip last summer. Helo and planes were very aware of how summer afternoon air currents and other factors make flying in that terrain hazardous. Fire can’t help that out a bit.

News orgs are reporting that firefighters are estimating that the fire will not be contained until late august.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
Living here in Salmon I can tell you this fire is just blowing up right now. Evacuation orders are no be ready - GO. As a shuttle driver and the only route now over Panther Creek and Williams? I would re-think but that is just me. 35 mph winds, hot and meh! Not so much. Check with your contacts and online for hour by hour updates. This is hot crazy wind and it won't end well.
Yikes! What does "I would re-think" mean? Is that a brutal route? We've got a Main launch on the 29th and I'm just trying to plan a bit before relatives come in from outside the area for the trip.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Yikes! What does "I would re-think" mean? Is that a brutal route?
I think re-think means exactly what it says and you should plan for more than a bit. Your trip is about 5 days away and access may be at best delayed, at worst not possible. Even the alternate Panther Creek route might be impassable so you could get there with everything and not be able to get through via pilot car or alternate route to make your launch date.

My advice would be to check with the the River Office at [email protected] or call 208-481-2625 to get their assessment. Also check in with your shuttle company and see what they say. Be frank with your family on the ifs and have an alternative plan.

Hopefully some folks that just got off the Main or the Middle Fork can fill in the blanks. Good luck.
 
41 - 60 of 111 Posts
Top