Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking of heading down to salida/BV this weekend, and braving the elements to paddle if it's any good. is it worth it at these flows? specifically, thinking about the playhole in salida or perhaps the numbers.

anybody paddling down there these days?

thanks,

jamie

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
If I were you I would change course, hit Parkdale and go to Salida. I think the numbers are a little too far upstream to be going off yet. Parkdale is low but something to do this time of year.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Parkdale or the Royal Gorge are very runnable at 300 cfs but, IMO, not exactly destination worthy until you get over 500-600 cfs. Give it a few weeks and maybe the Water buffaloes will release some of our water for us to play in.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I know it's a further drive, but go to Cross mtn instead. It's class IV right now and we did it twice without a guide and driving up and back in a long day. Lots of free camping too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Go to Cross Mt.

I was in the Ark valley about two weeks ago and ran pine creek. It was very low. I didn't check flows but I would guess it was 250CFS. It was a bump and grind run but was fun to be in the boat again. It was my first fun of the year. I guess it was class 3. The guys at CKS were saying that people we already running the numbers about a week prior but that it was very low. I'm sure it is up a little up not much. IMO go to Cross Mt. this weekend.
-PJ

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what's cross mountain like? playboat run? never run it.

thanks for the info, by the way.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I went on thursday at 1,200cfs with my Big EZ. If you're a confident class IV paddler, i'd take the playboat at this level. It'll push you around, but you can run it cleanly without too much stress. A really poor river running boat might be rough. I've heard it's a very different run when the water comes up and when you're in there you can definitely see why.

·
Registered
807 Posts
The Salida hole is always good (upper hole) every flow between 200cfs and 3500cfs. I also just got a report that the BV hole has been good lately but that was from Jed Selby who is better than the rest of us, but still I think it is good right now. Snowing in the hills!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts