Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Just wanted to let everyone know my recent experience with Salamander. I bought a Salamander throw bag for a GC trip and noticed it had a non-locking carabiner. So, I called Salamander and asked “Is this a mistake or is it standard on their throw bags”. The guy quickly replied it’s standard and hung up, I tried calling back and they never answered my call.

So, if you’re in the market for a throw bag take this into consideration.

· Registered
5,204 Posts
Not a one of my bags ever came with a biner, locking or otherwise. Had one come with a Kong dog toy on the end, supposed to make it easier to re throw if you missed.. Took it off, was a good theory, but...

· Registered
232 Posts
You don’t mention which model you purchased, but I have purchased a few of his throw bags and other items over the years and have always been impressed.

The website shows most throw bags don’t come with a carabiner of any kind at all. Is the model you purchased listed online with a locking carabiner?

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You don’t mention which model you purchased, but I have purchased a few of his throw bags and other items over the years and have always been impressed.

The website shows most throw bags don’t come with a carabiner of any kind at all. Is the model you purchased listed online with a locking carabiner?
I believe it is the Golden retriever, I got it from a local shop so not sure how it is advertised online. I guess I’m more shocked about the response from their customer service, not to mention a whitewater gear manufacturer using a nonlocking carabiner on a $78 throw bag.

· Registered
1,227 Posts
Is it a large “paddle biner” meant to be able to clip onto a kayak paddle shaft? I’m yet to see a locking one of those.

· Registered
2,590 Posts
Regardless of what carabiner it has.... I will admit that if it did actually go down like you said that its not a great look but will also admit to that possibliy being my response depending on the day I'm having. That said, a quick but friendly response would likely have left the customer happy.

Its not always easy to keep a pleasant disposition and perhaps we should give them a bit of leeway for maybe having a bad day. They seem to make nice stuff... easy enough to replace the carabiner with something you prefer. I tend to prefer a locker too.... but in this case, since the bag has a quick release having a non locker might be a little bit more justified.

· Registered
90 Posts
I like Salamander and always had good experiences when talking with him on the phone.

I did replace the non-locking biner with a locker just incase I ever forget to put it back in it's pouch on the bag.

· Registered
1,566 Posts
I believe it is the Golden retriever, I got it from a local shop so not sure how it is advertised online. I guess I’m more shocked about the response from their customer service, not to mention a whitewater gear manufacturer using a nonlocking carabiner on a $78 throw bag.
If you got it from a local shop…why did you call Salamander? Anyway I’m totally shocked too. It should have come with an entire quickdraw.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you got it from a local shop…why did you call Salamander? Anyway I’m totally shocked too. It should have come with an entire quickdraw.
Because I wanted to keep the bag and thought they would be like, no we don’t use those anymore and send me a locking one, but I was wrong. I thought it was basic knowledge that you only use locking carabiners in whitewater but I guess that’s just me.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This sounds like a conversation that should have been between you and the shop, instead a dragging a manufacturer. They fulfilled their obligation as advertised.

Derek
No, that is their product and I was asking questions directly related to the safety of their product, so, I was having a conversation with the right person. Not to motion the crappy customer service from the manufactuer.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts