Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering if anyone in here wears safety glasses while out rafting or at least a pair of shades that can take impact should something happen. Only reason I ask as someone more on the green side of running whitewater is the myriad of potential things that could hit me if I flipped or had an oar or something stick. Also are there any sprays or things on glasses or a design that beads water well for obvious reasons? Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
4,371 Posts
I've worn them on evening runs on Boulder Creek where there are a lot of overhanging branches and by the time you get to the takeout it's about dark.

I wear a helmet for impacts and usually have sunglasses on, though often if I'm getting splashed will leave the glasses off. Try Rain-X, maybe that'll do the trick. You may be overthinking this.

-AH

·
Registered
862 Posts
Eye protection

Probably not a bad idea. I brushed up against an overhanging branch and caught a fishing lure in my eyelid while in an IK. That was a bit of a panic until I broke the line.

Also I worked on the water a lot and did not always wear sunglasses. Last week the eye doctor told me that I was developing cataracts and that sun exposure was a contributing factor.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'll usually have a pair of old polarized Oakleys on croakies around my neck, I'll try to wear them as much as possible on the river, if they fog up I'll take them off until I get a chance to clear them. Usually a splash of cold water will do it without taking them off. If I don't wear them I'll spend the day squinting trying to see, another victim of spending lots of time on the water and not wearing them. I was warned when I was a teenager about it by an old lobsterman who was losing his eyesight, I didn't listen as well as I should have.

·
Registered
462 Posts
No pair of glasses is gonna protect you from an oar, believe me. I always wear glasses on the water since I saw a buddy who got a *fly stuck in his eye. (*fishing fly-with hook, so brutal looking)

I recommend a $20-$30 pair of polarized sunglasses. Keep it pretty cheap because the river gods will claim them for their own eventually... and sometimes often. I have found that walmart carries both foster grant and panama jack polatrized for $20 and have served me well. Berkely has some nice sets and really nice amber lens/polarization for about the same price...my GF has a set of those and it's kind of impressive how good they are. The frames just don't fit my face well.

I stopped buying nice/expensive glasses a long time ago. They get broken or lost too often.

Rain x works but I don't see the need mostly.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No pair of glasses is gonna protect you from an oar, believe me. I always wear glasses on the water since I saw a buddy who got a *fly stuck in his eye. (*fishing fly-with hook, so brutal looking)

I recommend a $20-$30 pair of polarized sunglasses. Keep it pretty cheap because the river gods will claim them for their own eventually... and sometimes often. I have found that walmart carries both foster grant and panama jack polatrized for $20 and have served me well. Berkely has some nice sets and really nice amber lens/polarization for about the same price...my GF has a set of those and it's kind of impressive how good they are. The frames just don't fit my face well.

I stopped buying nice/expensive glasses a long time ago. They get broken or lost too often.

Rain x works but I don't see the need mostly.
But you don't think a pair of glasses designed to the same standards as your average pair of job site quality safety glasses won't give you some impact protection in this regard? I mean I know things can happen very fast when shit hits the fan but.......

·
Registered
420 Posts
Proven in combat

If you're looking for protective/safety glasses that can withstand abuse, check out these Ballistic Eye Pros. They worked amazing when I was in the Sandboxes. I never wore them on the river though, nor have I ever wore some sort of glasses on the river, so I can't speak on that aspect of them. But I can say that they can take a beating, and keep taking hits, and not break. I posted some links.

"EXCEEDS U.S. MILITARY BALLISTIC IMPACT REQUIREMENTS FOR SPECTACLES (MIL-PRF-31013, CLAUSE 3.5.1.1)"

"AND GOGGLES (MIL-DTL-43511D, CLAUSE 3.5.10)
EXCEEDS ANSI Z87.1-2010 BALLISTIC IMPACT AND OPTICAL REQUIREMENTS"

ESS:
ESS Products - ESS Eye Pro - Ballistic Goggles - Ballistic Sunglasses - Military Eyewear - Eye Protection – Shooting Glasses

A bit of quite a few brands:
Ballistic Safety Glasses, Ballistic Sunglasses and Ballistic Goggles

Revision:
Revision Military | View Products

·
Registered
462 Posts
But you don't think a pair of glasses designed to the same standards as your average pair of job site quality safety glasses won't give you some impact protection in this regard? I mean I know things can happen very fast when shit hits the fan but.......

No I don't really.

Have you never rocked an oar and had it come rocketing straight at you at the speed of sound?

There's alot of energy behind some of those hits. IMO it would be like putting on a pair of safety glasses to protect you from Mike Tyson's right cross. Safety, sun or no glasses...it's gonna suck to similar degrees.

Also I've never heard of someone losing an eye from an oar (doesn't mean it hasn't happend tho). The eye injuries I've seen on the water were all lure or branch related (not impact related), and would have been easily avoided with a cheap pair of glasses.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wear safety glasses because they are cheap and I won't loose sleep over them being at the bottom of the River like I would if they were a pair of Oakleys . However, I do not rely on them to protect me from supersonic oars!

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

1 - 18 of 18 Posts