Mountain Buzz banner

Safe Boating & Risk Mitigation

9K views 57 replies 30 participants last post by  John_in_Loveland 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I spent some time this last week trying to talk some friends out of running the Lower Salmon - which is somewhere in the 50k range at Whitebird….

I’m not sure If they launched or not, but I got to thinking about why he was so adamant about getting out despite high water across some of the west out here (OR/ID). In my day job I’m a Coast Guardsman and have spent the last 23 years responding to Search and Rescue cases or in Prevention. 10 years responding by helicopter (AMT/H-65 Aircrew) and now working in Prevention doing safety inspections, drills, mariners exams, commercial fishing vessels inspections, etc (MST). This year up till now has been troubling for us as more and more folks are hitting the waters after COVID. Our rescues and responses are up almost 25%. While these statistics are for recreational power boating I’m also a rafter and put on around 15-20 days a year. Anecdotally, I’m seeing this same trend in our whitewater world.

Here’s my unofficial, but friendly advice for those on the fence:

As for my friend, he and his crew had so much wrapped up in their trip - time off from work, coordinating schedules, money in gear, etc. its hard to say “no thanks” despite all manner of warning flags. It’s Groupthink - Its the mental trap of not speaking up because no one in the crew wants to back out because they’ll disappoint the others. It’s part of what happened to the Space Shuttle Challenger. Nobody wanted say no because of the pressure of the group and the desired outcome. How do we deal with that?

Develop personal limitations based on good research of water levels and what they mean in that particular river. 18k on Hells Canyon is way different than 18k on the Owyhee. For the most part, I feel like this forum is pretty good at getting you some ok advice, albeit with some ragging. Do call the local river ranger office for accurate advice. Find some friends who really know what’s up. Ask questions. If in doubt - don’t go.

I feel like rafting and flying airplanes have a fairly equivalent risk/gain matrix. If I take off, I have to land. If you launch, you usually have to go downstream. Things happen quickly, and rescue/recovery is not guaranteed. For example; on the Middle Fork Salmon, I’m not going over 5’. Period. And because of my lack of knowledge of that stretch, I will only follow others who know what’s up. On others it’s different. But I’m not willing to break my personal limits. This is despite the fact that I’ve taken Swiftwater rescue, am practiced, and carry the gear. It’s not a prevention strategy. The pressure on permits also adds to this mindset.

I think Zach Collier at Northwest Rafting has some great insight on boating safety and has a video series on it for free.

Anywho, take care of your friends and families this summer and have your best trips. If you're on this forum, you’re probably introspective and think about these things. Continue to learn and establish limits. And wear your PFD.

Your friendly Puddle Pirate

Insect Arthropod Fluid Pest Liquid

Water Smile Boat Plant community Paddle

See less See more
1 2
#35 ·
8 month pregnant wife, two gentleman in their 70’s who were told at the ramp they were making a bad decision, one had just had hernia surgery and was wearing a …. Water soaked diaper. Talk about ruining our last trip befor have a little one around. They did tip me 100$ and told me not to tell their wives

Attachments

#40 ·
The selway at 7 feet, there isn't room to go around anything, I remember entering wa poot, and shortly after entering I thought, "was poot is kicking my ass" as I went over little Niagra, thankfully, by nothing other than sheer luck, I was on the right side.. is little more than see it, react if you can, and get ready to swim if you can't react fast enough..

#41 ·
Hey all,

I spent some time this last week trying to talk some friends out of running the Lower Salmon - which is somewhere in the 50k range at Whitebird….

I’m not sure If they launched or not, but I got to thinking about why he was so adamant about getting out despite high water across some of the west out here (OR/ID). In my day job I’m a Coast Guardsman and have spent the last 23 years responding to Search and Rescue cases or in Prevention. 10 years responding by helicopter (AMT/H-65 Aircrew) and now working in Prevention doing safety inspections, drills, mariners exams, commercial fishing vessels inspections, etc (MST). This year up till now has been troubling for us as more and more folks are hitting the waters after COVID. Our rescues and responses are up almost 25%. While these statistics are for recreational power boating I’m also a rafter and put on around 15-20 days a year. Anecdotally, I’m seeing this same trend in our whitewater world.

Here’s my unofficial, but friendly advice for those on the fence:

As for my friend, he and his crew had so much wrapped up in their trip - time off from work, coordinating schedules, money in gear, etc. its hard to say “no thanks” despite all manner of warning flags. It’s Groupthink - Its the mental trap of not speaking up because no one in the crew wants to back out because they’ll disappoint the others. It’s part of what happened to the Space Shuttle Challenger. Nobody wanted say no because of the pressure of the group and the desired outcome. How do we deal with that?

Develop personal limitations based on good research of water levels and what they mean in that particular river. 18k on Hells Canyon is way different than 18k on the Owyhee. For the most part, I feel like this forum is pretty good at getting you some ok advice, albeit with some ragging. Do call the local river ranger office for accurate advice. Find some friends who really know what’s up. Ask questions. If in doubt - don’t go.

I feel like rafting and flying airplanes have a fairly equivalent risk/gain matrix. If I take off, I have to land. If you launch, you usually have to go downstream. Things happen quickly, and rescue/recovery is not guaranteed. For example; on the Middle Fork Salmon, I’m not going over 5’. Period. And because of my lack of knowledge of that stretch, I will only follow others who know what’s up. On others it’s different. But I’m not willing to break my personal limits. This is despite the fact that I’ve taken Swiftwater rescue, am practiced, and carry the gear. It’s not a prevention strategy. The pressure on permits also adds to this mindset.

I think Zach Collier at Northwest Rafting has some great insight on boating safety and has a video series on it for free.

Anywho, take care of your friends and families this summer and have your best trips. If you're on this forum, you’re probably introspective and think about these things. Continue to learn and establish limits. And wear your PFD.

Your friendly Puddle Pirate

View attachment 77496
View attachment 77497
You have to be able to say "NO" when boater buddies are always trying to pull you into sketchy trips. I've ran the Lower at a high 18000cfs, the slide was runable but had some crazy holes and swirlies. Most everything else was washed. I've done the trips with multiple rescues going on, it is no fun and scares me because life can be ended so fast because of stupid choices. Now, if I don't like other peoples skill level, I don't go. I was at Snowhole right after that lady drowned years ago, we were the next group behind them, it was a weight that took a long time to heal. You are helpless when things have reached that point.

#46 ·
Kid yesterday paddled a kayak un wittingly under a sneaky tree stuck in a boulder field on our reliable, small, easy , roadside class 2/3. Luckily he was able to swim out of it and same day the trees gone on down stream. Brown and bubbley the log was a bit of a challenge to see qnd maybe the kid was newer I dunno but I know we never scout it anymore and only reason I saw the log was social media. Have to be a little more diligent and maybe take two steeps back at run off. I'd honestly rather take on big hard gnarly water than wood any day. Stay safe!

#50 ·
Yoga....lol! Really the only thing that changes after 50 is speed, reaction time, strength and flexibility and endurance. Everything else is the same (including attitude lol). I was a amateur/professional boxer for decades. Now and again someone will ask me to spar with an up and coming kid. I absolutely got my ass handed to me by a 16 yr old kid not long ago lol. Father times not all that sympathetic to our emotional needs sometimes. Nevermind I could see it all coming a mile away and STILL couldn't get out of the way. Embarrassing...lol. I still say "we got this" just have to be more thoughtful!!

#57 ·
I'll leave it at, the mind is willing but the body is creaky...

62 years on this rock, and every day I thought I was a young man, till all the sudden, I remembered the old adage, that has long since because unfashionable, "respect your elders", and realized it's getting harder and harder to find one these days...

And all the sudden I'm having joints replaced, and make the same "old man" sounds my father made getting up in the morning...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.