Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sad day tomorrow. Westwater private permits are moving to recreation.gov. There isn't another website I hate more than that one.

Did I miss a call for comment from the BLM office on this move? Or was it just a mandated change?

I have several questions. It says on the website that they will be available 60 days in advance. Does that mean 12:00am 60 days in advance? And is that mountain time or GMT or ???

rec.gov has this statement
'Westwater Canyon River Permits will become available for advanced reservation beginning January 7, 2020 at 8:00 a.m. MST/10 a.m. EST. '

Wonder if that means each day's permits come available at 8:00am mountain?

Dan

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got through talking to both the Moab office and then to support on recreation.gov. See my above comments about not having pleasant experience with rec.gov.

BLM guy said, "We don't know, talk to recreation.gov". Agent at recreation.gov said, "we don't know, contact the local BLM office".

I'll call the river office in the morning. They won't know either. I think what I'll end up doing is trying a test reservation in a couple of days and then when I figure it out I'll post info back here for anyone that is interested.

Dan

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Did I miss a call for comment from the BLM office on this move? Or was it just a mandated change?

Wonder if that means each day's permits come available at 8:00am mountain?

Dan

Nope, no call for comment. The mandate is 5 years old, they held it off as long as they could, couldn't stop it as hard as they tried, the bigwigs made their decision, as they are quite proud of rec.gov. Nothing to do with the Moab Field office, who doesn't want it any more than you do.

60 days out, 8AM is what I understand.

·
Super Moderator
4,163 Posts
Thanks for the info, Marshall.

What a bummer.

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Thanks for the info, Marshall.

What a bummer.

At the end of the day, it is quite the bummer, for both boaters and the BLM. Westwater is truly unique in it's use patterns, and the resource itself. I'm not sure how it'll play out at the end of the day, for either boaters or managers, all I can do is hope for the best, and try and deal with what I think is going to be a difficult integration.

One thing I can ask the community as a whole, is when you get to the ramp, remember, the Rangers had nothing to do with this, and neither did the Moab BLM, the orders came down from Washington, the Rangers and Management are just following the mandate and trying to make things as easy on everyone as it can be made, while still enforcing the rules.

Getting mad, or venting on them does nothing other than creating animosity, hate and discontent. It'll not change anything at the end of the day.. Think of the poor rangers having to stand there all day and listen to it over and over and over again. Let's not do that, K?

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
Good point

·
Registered
321 Posts
Got on this morning. I tried to reserve just as an exercise and got a server error. Looks like an 8am "clickfest" every morning 60 days before your desired launch. This should be interesting. Good thing I have fiber optic.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
One thing I can ask the community as a whole, is when you get to the ramp, remember, the Rangers had nothing to do with this, and neither did the Moab BLM, the orders came down from Washington, the Rangers and Management are just following the mandate and trying to make things as easy on everyone as it can be made, while still enforcing the rules.
Keep a pad of paper at the ramp. "I don't like this any more than you do."
Hand it to them and let them write down their feelings, then give them the WA DC BLM address. :)

·
Super Moderator
4,163 Posts
....then give them the WA DC BLM address. :)
That may very well be an address in Grand Junction CO since they moved the HQ there.

-AH

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, spoke with the BLM office this morning. There were some hiccups with the system this morning, they think they have them worked out. Had a good conversation with the river manager. He wants to know if anyone has problems trying to use the reservation system on rec.gov so he can get it ironed out.

Info he shared with me:
1 - The permits will be available at 8:00am Mountain time each day for the date 2 calendar (not 60 days) months in the future. They tried to mirror the Ruby setup as close as possible.
2 - You have to pay for your permit at the time of reservation but you can get a full refund minus the $6 reservation fee up to 30 days before your launch date.
3 - You can have 3 permits at a time.
4 - 2 important reasons they moved to rec.gov. The first was that even though we as the public love the personal interaction with the river office it is a huge drain on them and their resources. I get that, but that is sort of the cost of good customer service. Government probably isn't super concerned about customer service as a whole. The second thing was the security in handling credit cards. They didn't have a very good, secure system in place to handle the payments and that was a big issue.
5 - On the positive side for customer service is they recognized that having to call M-F 8:00am - Noon was very difficult for a lot of people and moving to rec.gov will allow people easier access. That is probably a negative for me... I've never not been able to get through on the phone and get a permit at 8am. Now I'll have to join the click battle.

So there you have it... That is the new reality of WW.

DanCan

·
Registered
345 Posts
I did just pull a permit, and it wasn't the worst thing ever, but sure not as nice as talking to a human being!

Have a great season, y'all!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Thanks for the info. It's also my understanding that you can pay for 1 person initially and add folks later as long as there is quota available, similar to the San Juan system. But I'm not sure on the time frame, as in if that is allowed up to 30 days before etc.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I think you can add them up until you print the permit. At least that is what I have been able to do on SJ's in the past...
only time will tell...

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think you can add them up until you print the permit. At least that is what I have been able to do on SJ's in the past...
only time will tell...
That's what the info page says.

And yes, you can pay for one and add... but the limit is 5 permits or 75 people per day so you run the risk of not having quota available.

DanCan

1 - 20 of 32 Posts