Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wish it was that easy. But untill it is that easy, looks like I'm stuck in michigan. I somebody could just tell me some of the differences that would be very helpfull.

thanx

·
Registered
23 Posts
The difference is levels of refinement of design.

first came the S6 in 2002
then the S6X in 2003
then last the S6F in 2004

With the original S6, you have a nice little boat in a couple of different sizes (190 and 200), nice and narrow so it carves quickly from edge to edge when surfing. It's got some breaker lines across the hull so that there is kind of a spin disk sort of thing under you, which makes it pretty loose on a wave. Pyranha also added loop pockets to the front and rear, they look a little like gills.

But there weren't enough sizes for everyone, so along comes the S6X. You get the 185, 195 and 205. Pyranha took away the breaker lines in the hull (made it smooth tip to stern) added a bunch of bolt-on doodads, like a half dozen fins and a mystery hull plate and some loop pocket enhancers. They also upped the rocker, kicking up the nose and tail substantially. A good boat, it taught me how to loop.

And now along comes the S6F. All of the doodads from the S6X are gone except for a pair of fin mount points. The hull breaker bars are back, and the rocker has been mellowed down a smidge. There are still 3 sizes, and they are 191, 192 and 193. It looks like a solid design to me.

All the variants are pretty quick edge-to-edge on a wave, and in terms of looseness, I'd put the F above the original S6 and both above the X. As always though, comfort and boat fit comes far above boat design. Getting the right size boat and adjusting it to fit you properly is crucial.

cheers

tom

·
Registered
18 Posts
To be a jerk... None of them are fast, no playboat is.

That being said if you are looking to learn to loop and still be able to do in the water tricks and the newest areal moves, and you are ucky enough to find one that fits you well, than look at the S6F.
The evolution of the boats goes like this:
First the s6 is designed to surf and spin first but still go big on off the water for looping.
Than a whole lot of new arial moves are invented and the s6x came out so we could do them, but where that design excells in the air it looses a lot of it's surf ability.
So they make the s6F which combines the best aspects of both boats, It is as fast and loose as the original but flies as well as the X(almost).
To sum it up I'ld get the S6F which also, as a side note, has the most refined outfitting of the lot.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have an F 192 and as far as play boats go it is fast. I have paddled them all and i think the F and the ZG are the fastest in and out of eddies and on waves. On a wave the F is a little nicer due to the front rocker b/c it doesn't pearl.
What are you boating now and what do you want the new boat to do?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a Dagger ID 7.0. I am doing mostly surfing 5-6 foot waves in Lake Michigan, but am hoping to do more ww next year. The ID seems very slow for a 7ft boat, but it could just be me. I was having trouble keeping the front from submarining on the steep waves. I tried lifting a knee, but that still didnt work. I think that I could ride them with either a faster boat, or with a shorter boat.

thanx

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ok others can chime in too. If front surfing is your gig then why do you want an aggressive aerial play boat? Why wouldn't you want a surf boat?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I assume by your questions you’re an intermediate paddler. I currently own a S6, ZG and have paddled a S6F a few times. The S6 has a much more stable base and is much more forgiving the then S6F or the ZG, it will be easier to down river kayak as well as stay up right in Holes and waves. You are kidding about the speed question?
David

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bheart- I guess you have never seen a Michigan wave. They are too steep for any boat over 8ft. I was also told that they were good flatwater boats...

Jeremy

·
Registered
81 Posts
Jeremy:
I grew up on the west shore of Michigan & I agree that the waves out there are different than waves in the ocean. I think it has to do with no tide (wind only) and the sand bottom, rather than some kind of coral. I have paddled all 3 of the S6 models and currently own the F. I think you would have a great time with either the F or the standard S6; however the F is shorter and may be easier to deal with the steep faces. I think it has more rocker too and that should allow you to lean forward to catch the wave with less risk of dipping the bow. I don't think speed is as big of an issue as many make it. I have surfed all over Washington and Oregon in a Pop - a very slow boat - and never felt like I needed more speed.

By the way, where are you in MI?

·
Registered
5 Posts
you really should look into necky boats if you do a lot of surfing.
i had a gliss and a switch back in the day and they were really fast and loose.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I grew up in Holland, but I live in Colorado now. My family is still htere, so I'll look you up the next time I'm in town during the summer months. It has been too long since I played in a Small Craft Advisory!

·
Registered
192 Posts
S6 S6 S6 S6 S6 S6 S6

:twisted: So in the beginning came the S6 probably one of the most fun playboats I have ever paddled, then the S6x ( didn't care for it ), then the S6f again a really fun boat. I spent some time in both the S6 and the S6f this summer and I was torn as to which boat I liked more. the s6 is just pure fun it auto surfs its slicey and great in holes and on the flats and it has better rocker in the bow so you can surf steeper waves. When I paddled the S6f I tried both the middle and the smaller size and at 168 lbs I definitely preferred the smaller boat. the middle size was to large for me but the smaller boat was a riot to paddle. It felt a little faster then the original s6 with a greater tendency to pearl. IT was supper loose but no looser then the original. the one thing I did not like about it was that it didn't feel as intuitive as the original and I would blow off the waves some times because I would get the boat into a position where it did not respond as I expected it to. Still a great boat but I chose to go with the s6 190 which I am definitely a bit big for but I had such a fun season in it that I still believe it is one of the best playboats ever designed. One thing to note though is that I paddle in Colorado so not in any really big water at my size in big water the boat is not good for river running and I would recommend more volume, but if you are the right size for the boat it is a great river runner better then the s6f or s6x.
Dano

1 - 18 of 18 Posts