Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sunday April 20th will mark the 2nd annual S. Platte River Clean Up presented by Down River Equipment, Confluence Kayaks, and KEEN. This cooperative effort in celebration of Earth Day will once again take place on and along the S. Platte River through Denver culminating in a FREE BBQ at Confluence Park as well as a raffle full of great prizes which have been generously donated by our supporting sponsors.

The effort will this year begin at Grant / Frontier Park making for about a six mile float through Denver - about half the distance of last year for those that were there. Shuttle services from City of Cuernavaca Park - just downstream of Confluence - will be provided once again and will begin at 10am with a scheduled launch at 12 noon.

Last year we had a tremendous turnout of over 120 volunteers and we look forward to seeing you all there again this year along with some new faces as well. For more information you can call Down River Equipment or Confluence Kayaks Directly, and as well you can Pre-Register HERE

All necessary supplies will be provided, so you only need to plan on bringing yourself, your own boat or other means of transport down the river way, and a willingness to roll up your sleeves and get dirty.

Looking forward to a great way to kick off a promising paddling season and seeing you all there once again.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Shameless Bump

Just a reminder that the S. Platte River Clean up is less than 3 weeks away. There have been a lot of PM's in my inbox regarding what type of prizes there will be for participants of late. While this isn't a competition and the focus isn't on swag and prizes - more so on taking care of the land and rivers we love - there will be some goodie bags for participants including t-shirts while they last. (Gotta give a big shout out to the Duck Co. for those)

As well, we've really focused on quality - not quantity - raffle prizes which will be distributed at the post event BBQ at Confluence Park. Besides FREE food and FREE refreshments (thank you New Belgium Brewery :-D ), there are some AMAZING raffle items from all of our supporting sponsors.

Looking forward to seing you all there and please remember to pre-register if you can as it will greatly help with estimating how much food we're going to need to bring.

Mark

·
Registered
290 Posts
Good call

Sounds like it will be another great event in the community for family and friends to rally and have a good time.

I have been paddling down there recently and can definitely see the value this clean up will provide to the South Platte.

And hell ... who doesn't like free beer!! :mrgreen:

Nice work Mark on the organization.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Last year there were some great finds - like a peddle powered hot pink Barbie Lamborghini, a cracked open safe with its contents missing, several road signs, lots and lots of Styrofoam and tennis balls. The BBQ afterwards was great, lots of food, free Fat Tire and Sunshine Wheat.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shuttle Information

Shuttle Information:

The best way to utilize the shuttle would be to show up at Grant Frontier Park around 10:00 as registration begins and unload your boats. Please be quick about unloading here as space is limited. Then drive to City of Cuernavaca park, where you can leave your vehicle and catch the Outward Bound bus back to the put-in.
Grant Frontier Park is located just south of Evans on South Platte River Drive East at 2190 S Platte River Dr, Denver, CO, 80223
CLICK HERE
for a map to the park and driving directions.
City of Cuernavaca park is located NE of Platte St and 20th St at 3500 Rockmont Dr, Denver, CO, 80202 CLICK HERE for a map to the park.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
4 days to go

Just a reminder that this Sunday is the 2nd annual S. Platte River Clean Up here in Denver. So whether you're participating in the PPP or getting your boof on at Escalante this Saturday, be sure to make it back in time for your opportunity to pick up river karma points one peice of trash at a time - not to mention we can settle this best way to keep beer cold debate once and for all. I'm calling on Dave F. and I'll be floating nearby your rig the entire time....

Not only will we have a great free bbq & refreshments at confluence park afterwards, but we have some awesome prizes which will be raffled off as well. Items such as SR Helmets, Mission Playground Apparel (sickness), an off the hook Fat Tire Amber Ale / New Belgium fleece lined windbreaker, KEEN footwear and bags, Level 6 & IR apparel, and more. You've got to register to be in the raffle and can do so at the put-in Sunday morning.

I will have FREE demos of a variety of KEEN sandals including the new commuter bike sandal for any of you planning on riding along with us to try out.

Remember, drop off your equipment at the put-in (Grant Frontier Park) and shuttle your vehicles back down to city of Cuernavaca Park early on. The Outward Bound bus will provide shuttle service back to the put-in for vehicle drivers. Registration and Shuttle Service begin at 10am with a targeted put-in for 12pm.

·
Super Moderator
2,841 Posts
Mark, if you get me a keg, I'll come and float it on the river for you.

I'm actually on the fence as to whether I'll make it this year. I am just starting to limp around on my injured heel. If I thought I had some motivated passengers that needed some rubber to facilitate their efforts, I could be persuaded. I probably won't be good for much littler removal myself this year. I need to get the raft out of storage anyway, so this might be a good excuse.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
chilled beer

Dave -

It would be good to see you back out there. We can always use another haul rig to toss trash bags into and I'm sure there will be one or two folks looking for a ride as well.

I'll have to get back to you on the keg but if that were to happen we'd have to ration it based on what the person has picked up. Filled trash bag = 2 beers, Road Signs = 6 beers, Barbie Cars = 10 beers...

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Putting Mark in his place...the dumpster...20 beers...:).

·
Super Moderator
2,841 Posts
While I'd be happy to haul a keg, it is kinda high profile, for a sponsored event. I wouldn't want to frighten off any of the people who might help finance future clean-ups.

I think I will make it, but not quite ready to commit at this point.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no keg

Dave's right, and there'll be plenty of refreshments at the takeout anyhow.

Dave, if you're not feeling up to bringing the rubber out of storage quite yet we might be looking for someone to relax all day by the takeout to keep tabs on our food & beverage. My neighbors who did it last year said they had a great time with their kid hanging out there.....might be a good way to get out and enjoy the nice weather. Give me a shout if you're interested.

·
Registered
648 Posts
We will be there

Henry and I will be floating it this year again. He's bringing his fish net scooper which really worked well on the weird styrofoam debris. Gina may be paddling her duckie as a trash hauler (ha ha ha)

·
Registered
648 Posts
WE NEED MORE WATER IN THE RIVER!!!!!!! Tell them to open the gates

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
H2O

If I recall correctly there was a photo of Henry and his fishing net on the front page of the Rocky Mountain News after last years event - Priceless!!!

We should have some nice flows as it's fluctuating between 150-200 upstream and 350ish down by Confluence as of right now. Hopefully the water gods will keep is nice and manageable for us again - if you recall where we BBQ'd last year was under a foot of water the following day due to HIGH flows.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
T-shirts

Damn, Randy Thompson from Down River Equipment is DA MAN!!!!!!

He's hooked up free event t-shirts for this weekend from Duck CO of Denver. I had a look at the layout and they are SWEET....and free.

I'm picking them up tomorrow and they will be distributed at registration (IE: sign your waiver please) at Grant Frontier Park while supplies last. So get there early - registration begins at 10am - if you hope to nab one of these.

Nice work Rando!!! :!:

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mission Playground

I've got to give a HUGE shout out to the folks at Mission Playground for their support and contributions to the event. I was just helping Randy get all of the goodie bags and raffle prizes in order and wow did they hook it up for y'all.

If you haven't discovered Mission Playground yet I encourage you to as they are am amazing company truly dedicated to preserving the present for future generations. They really went above and beyond to support everyone's efforts this weekend and I can't say thanks enough to them for this.

I hope you all have an opportunity to check them out and we certainly have some great stuff from them to hook you up with as part of the participant raffle. Ladies - HERE's a teaser

SYOTR

·
Registered
648 Posts
Simply awesome event today!

This was another huge turnout. Seemed like more people this year than last year and... The weather stayed nice. Henry had a blast and Gina made it over the Zuni dam with a dead cat (yuck).

Thanks for putting this event on! See ya next year

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
THANK YOU

I wanted to send out a HUGE thank you to all of those who participated in this past weekend's clean up effort. We ended up with 180 volunteers who collected 4000 pounds of trash from the riverway including a couch, a cat (not a live one), a computer, and a couple of car bumpers. The weather cooperated greatly as we had temps in the 70's (I hooked mother nature up with some new KEEN socks last week so she owed me;) ) and ice cold beer at the finish when everyone arrived. It really makes me proud to be a part of such a great community of individuals willing to come together for a common cause and you should all feel very proud of this achievement. It was a total team effort and we could not have done it without all of your support.

Looking forward to doing it again next year!

Cheers,
Mark

·
Registered
260 Posts
Thank you for putting it on! I'm pretty positive we met earlier in the morning, I was the one filling up duckies using the Keen truck for juice! Anyways I know I speak for all 11 of us from the DU kayak club that turned out when I say that we had an awesome time and will definitely be back next year!

Again thanks for throwing such a sweet event! And the raffle at the take out was so sick, there were some absolutely awesome prizes. I really wanted that Fat tire jacket! And you guys at Keen really threw down with all the demo's and the gift certs!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts