Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to introduce my kids (5 and 2) to rafting through an easy half day in Denver metro area. I was thinking South Platte. Is it at upper end of runnable at 2000 cfs? Should I be worried about the dam? Any takeouts still above water? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
4,061 Posts
Not to be a downer, but if you're asking these questions, should you really be taking toddlers out there at relatively high water for their first trip? How well do you know that section of river? Have you scouted the takeout and dam?

Sure, folks will say "it's just the Platte" but at higher water, any river will be swift, there may be (urban) hazards, and you may be in for more adventure than you want with kids in the boat.

Be prudent, be safe,

-AH

·
Registered
64 Posts
I did the "Brighton to Ft. Lupton" thing back in April when there was nothing else to do. Took out at a bridge before I got to Ft. Lupton and called in my shuttle because bored. Sitting on the side of a county road, waiting with my boat and gear, a local lady stopped and googly-eyed me like an alien, and asked "are you waiting for another flood?" That was the highlight.

I found it to be industrial and unpleasant, with the bank almost always consisting of rip rap (and often the river bed too), although I did see quite a bit of wildlife and the flood damage was eye-opening.

There was a 4 foot slide/drop thingamajig in Brighton right after I put in that was sorta fun. The only other non class-I was the diversion dam. It had a large, avoidable stump stuck right in the middle of it when I ran it. The level is much higher now, so its probably gone or some other tree is stuck there. It was easily scoutable/portagable at the time.

·
Registered
579 Posts
that section of the platte is SO disgusting!!! even if it was a good first time level for kids, it would turn them off.... just plan gross.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts