Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A goup of three of us ran the upper narrows this evening and one of us was running Super C for the first time. I decided to skip Super C as I wasnt feeling it. I ran safety with a rope just down stream of the Super sticky hole on river left (getting stickier as the water rises).

Leader cleaned it, first timer came through with no speed and started to get sucked back into the hole after not getting a boof at all. I immediately threw him the rope (hit his stomach, easy place to grab) and was able to pull him out pre-surf, upright, no worries.

I guess I am reccomending running safety (out of boat) here at 2 feet and above as we avoided a swim by doing so.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Glad things turned out good for your group. I think it's important to note however that there are serious dangers in throwing a rope to someone who is or is about to get surfed: disclocated shoulders, choking and broken necks are very real possibilities. Make your own call, but if I'm in a hole don't throw a rope at me unless I call for it or am out of my boat.

TIFWIW...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rope

He called for the rope toss, we made eye contact, we were on the same page. No shit there are dangers with ropes. There are dangers with running CV period. But if you are trained in using them and make a good throw, you can avert a more dangerous situation.

I would say however, if you havent practiced using ropes then dont fucking use one in a rescue situation.

Have you run Super Collider?

If you havent, or dont plan to, please dont post anything on this thread.

I dont want this situation to be taken out of context into another what if? You could have... blah blah blah,

Maby a breathing device would have been the way to go. I could have thrown him one and he could have used as he was surfing the hole and while he bounced down the rebar ridden right side.

This post is meant specifically for paddlers familiar with this drop.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Adrian,
Why do I feel like you and I are the only ones working right now. Everyone else is running Spencers.
I am sure our group could have used that technique the other night, if only one of us would have been on shore, not in our boats. We had a long hole ride the other night and a painful but short swim, because of Marty's rockstar skills on getting the swimmer out so damn quick. You are right, it is an easy toss and an easy way to avoid a major problem and nasty ass swim.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
angst

Sorry for the angst guys, I'm a little bit emotional right now. I think I'm getting my period. No but really, that whole rescue last week is up in my wheel house right now (as Todd G. would say), spinning and spinning.

I guess I just got pist that people were taking my post out of context and putting a negative spin on it.

I should have been more descriptive about the communication that happened with the paddler and I.

BUT, it seems like people chime in without enough context.

I'm getting my head out of this thread.

PEACE, be safe in the narrows.

·
Registered
460 Posts
5'10" is sure gettin up there. maybe just short in stature? :cry: dont let someones comments hit you in the heart. didnt your mom teach you to have thick skin....haha
it was a good warning and i'm sure his comments about rope throws werent directed at you but maybe at one of the newbies on the forum. chill/smoke a bowl relax 8)

·
Registered
882 Posts
Adrian - like I said, glad it worked out great for your group. I never said YOUR group's decision was bad. I pointed out the general dangers of which many people who read your post won't be aware.

I've never run Super Collider and I'm posting because lots of people will read your thread and some are going to get the idea that throwing a rope to someone getting surfed is a good idea, period. There has been a noticable spike in posts from newbies and class II-III boaters in the last couple months, people without the experience you, me, Aaron and many others of us have.

latenightjonser -- resume..."put it on the buzz"...lol

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
resume

Oh, hey before I check out. Forgot to post my resume.

May 2005-
Slept with double-a-ron's mom (she taught me lots of lessons and made me feel dirty about my stature)

Just kiddin buddy

take er easy

relax is my middle name

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sorry I'm not a class V boater and I have not run that drop but I have something to say to adrianmatthew and all those involved in the rescue. I know there was an MD involved and I don't knwo what field he's in and hwo many "holy &*%$" type situations he faces but I hope you guys talked about moving on with your lives after this. I know, easier said than done, but it has to be done or it will eat at you for a long time as is readily seen in this post. Sorry, but I'm just observing and only with the best of intentions from someone who does have to deal with those kinds of situations regularly.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
change is the only constant

Hey medman. I appreciate your intentions, however, I dont feel like its really about moving on, but rather, working through. I will not repress or forget this (the Ryan rescue) for quite some time and I am glad. The experience has changed me, for the better and we are all dealing the best way we know how. By the way, take 2 vikadin for trying to be my counselor.

If I hadnt been involved with the rescue I would not have run safety at Super C the other day and homeboy would have had a gnarly barefoot swim (I offered him shoes, but people make their own choices).

Bam, already I am more safety conscious and ready to assist people at a higher level.

Caspian, I appreciate your concern for novice boaters but I think you framed your response to me in bad form. You made it sound like "well you guys may have gotten lucky but don't throw me a flippin rope dumbass".

A-ron, if you drop in to Super C (hole) right now you will not come out in your boat.

All I was trying to do with this postwas say "hey you might want to get someone on shore with a rope when you run Super C", I think novice boaters are smarter than to generalize about every situation from my single post. We were all there at one point right?

JJ lets go boating give me a call.

By the way A-ron, I have never felt higher in stature, having just helped save someones life. :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Don't misunderstand me--I'm not saying to repress anything, I'm actually sayng the opposite. We have similar conferences in medicine where we get together adn discuss what we could have done better so that we learn for the next time.
I was just saying don't let it eat at you foreverto the point where you become overly cynical. Not trying to be a counselor--in fact I'm in a field that most would consider farthest from it.
Not quite sure what you meant by the 2 Vicodin comment though.
Peace.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts