Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How low do people run Rainy Falls main chute? In a 16 ft cat with a moderate load ? I just read on another thread people run it around 1000 cfs. I always heard above 6000 cfs because of old debris in the bottom. Any truth to that?? Anything to hit or bad hydraulics ?
Middle chute is not an option for big boats at low water and the fish ladder just pisses me off. I'm tired of the ladder!!!
Enjoy the water this fall wherever you are. Take care.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
502 Posts
I don't know about debris, but what I do know is that the lower the water, the more vertical the drop. The middle chute is a viable option at low water. Scout that main drop pretty carefully. I've seen swimmers held in the reversal for way longer than anyone would enjoy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm doing the Rogue for the first time in a cat. I've done it in rafts many times. I understand being tired of the ladder. However, is it doable in your 16 foot boat?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Launching on 6/20 and also wonder at what level do folks feel would be the best to have a successful run through the meat at Rainee? It will be my first time through, running an over loaded Wiliwaw 1.5.

From scouting on YouTube it looks like a 50/50 success rate. I know the ladder is probably best, but...

What CFS is optimal if you had the stones to try it?

Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
417 Posts
As I posted on the other thread a couple of years ago I ran the main falls on a 17' Aire Cougar. If I remember it was running in the 3-4k level. Both the fish ladder and middle sneak looked really tight and I saw smaller boats get stuck on the fish ladder. No big issue on the drop. Big impact - got thrown from my seat but not off the boat and not even close to a flip. I'd do it again - good recovery pool below. i did ask my passengers to portage though

·
Registered
138 Posts
We are launching on June 26th and I'm considering running the main falls as well in our 14' cataraft. Hope I don't chicken out; makes my palms sweat!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Im sure every flow is different but a couple feet left of center looked better (and worked well) when i was there

1 - 10 of 10 Posts