Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've camped at Highline Lake before but wondering if there are other options close to the put in.

We are a big group and many will be arriving well after dark without previous knowledge of the area. Any recommendations on close, easy access camping?

TIA

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a campground in fruita. You can launch from there if you want to extend the float and avoid the ramp at loma.
Zach - are you referring to the James Robb Campground?

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I have camped at James Robb many times.

Excellent showers etc

All the tent sites are walk in a short distances from parking and there have been nice carts to carry gear. Plenty of nice pull in normal spots but I have always used the tent setup.

That Truck stop just off I70 has a good breakfast and in Fruita there is a old style pizza and craft beer spot (yelp it) that is just excellent. Might be hot tomato pizza, if memory correct.

We like to put in there as the park has a good ramp and leave a car there as well due to security in the park being good.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Sub-note, if you launch from the state park and use rimrock to shuttle, they will add in the cost of a parks daypass (they have to pay to get your vehicle). If you launch at their site, they only charge you the shuttle fee. ++1 on quality of the facilities at the park.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you leave a car at James Robb, do you have to pay for a daypass for every day that it's there? How do you do that? I know how to pay for a campsite ahead of time, but have never paid to leave a car.

If using Rim Rock, why not just launch from their place? Seems like your car would be safest there and they could drive it down to the put-in whenever.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you leave a car at James Robb, do you have to pay for a daypass for every day that it's there? How do you do that? I know how to pay for a campsite ahead of time, but have never paid to leave a car.

If using Rim Rock, why not just launch from their place? Seems like your car would be safest there and they could drive it down to the put-in whenever.
We are not leaving the car there (campground). We have a big group and need to camp the night before we launch. We'll be launching the rentals from Rimrock and our own rigs from Robb. We'll be doing a self-shuttle for all but one car. One car will be shuttled by rimrock.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Did you ask Rimrock about camping at their place? They have a pretty big area down by the river and you can launch right from there.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's too bad. James Rob gets kind of expensive when you have to rent a bunch of sites.
6 people per site it's not that bad. What gets me is the $10 service charge for EACH site...not each reservation but each SITE!

·
Registered
984 Posts
The Robb State Park is very convenient if folks come from all over, as many folks are still working half to full days before heading out. You can get the group site reserved for what is a pretty good price per head, especially when the overall trip cost is considered. There are both fast food and quality restaurants, big grocery stores, raft/shuttle biz, liquor stores, etc right there too. It is a very good place to gather a group. Highland is good too, just a little more driving, but only like 5 extra minutes each way.

Rabbit Valley is >10 miles past the Ruby put-in, but more unpredictable. There are suitable sites very close to I-70, but its harder to find your people.

You are camping no matter what due to no camping policy at the Loma Ramp, and there are limited options within a <15 min drive. It is a relatively high density population with limited public lands/free camping close by.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts