Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some good camp/hike beta on this stretch. Looks like Rattlesnake has some great hiking up the canyon. Looking to do one possibly two nights. I've read good reports about camping at Mee canyon, Bull canyon and Knowels. Is it safe to leave a car at Loma? Water looks low right now but I'm assuming totally doable as there are no rapids it seems. How long would it take to shuttle to Loma from westwater? Are wag bags acceptable on this stretch? Looking to scratch the river itch with a small easy trip. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,836 Posts
Rattlesnake is a long hike, but the arches are worth it.

Mee Canyon is great.

I would not leave a car at Loma, ever. If you don't want to pay a shuttle driver use the Colorado River State Park at Fruita.

I don't remember shuttle time, but an hour round trip sounds about right...

Yes on wag bags.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The Black Rock camps are some of the best any where,good hikes as well. You may want to try and pick up a West Water permit while your down there. We ran West Water last March great fun.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Rattlesnake is a great hike. As you're walking up the wash and come to what appears to be a sheer wall, go left to find the trail up to the arches. Well worth the time to hike it.

We like Mee Corner and Knowles 1 for camps of you're doing a 3 day/2 night trip. Both have reasonable sun for this time of year and you can hike from them as well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
All good beta here.
Use Rimrock for the shuttle. park your car and throw then the keys. It'll be waiting for you at Westwater. If you are not taking the kids then definitely add Westwater. Black rocks are all good except the first two IMHO. Rattle Snake is a bit of a walk and I agree the arches are worth it. Mee is pretty good two. If it's raining or the ground is wet stay away from the Cottonwood camps. I swear the mosquitoes actually prefer deet.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the beta. I'm looking at running my own shuttle as it looks to be $90 with Rimrock and I calculated I can do it for $50 with a subaru chasing with current gas pricing. So If you launch at the State Park do you just have to pay an enterance fee of $7 or is is 7 for each day your car is there? I'm assuming you just pull in at the LOMA ramp and sign up for camps and fill out permit or is there permits available at the State Park? Also, would it be safe to leave my raft tied up upstream of the boat ramp at westwater?

·
Premium Member
4,836 Posts
So If you launch at the State Park do you just have to pay an enterance fee of $7 or is is 7 for each day your car is there? I'm assuming you just pull in at the LOMA ramp and sign up for camps and fill out permit or is there permits available at the State Park?
I think its $7 for each day. The campsites are by reservation only now. You have to call the BLM two months out and pay for them based on how many people you expect in your group.

Permit Information

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
The bank above the Westwater ramp is rocks and scrub, but it can be done. The water is too deep to get out- just be aware of that and back-row. Security shouldn't be a problem-

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.