Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
River girl
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are heading out in a few days for a R/HT into WW trip. Are the bugs/mosquitos bad in the Cottonwood camps? I only ask because I did this same trip 4 years ago and it was the worst mosquito experience I've had and I've spent a summer in AK and spent my early years in WI so I've had plenty of bad mosquito experiences. Just want to know how much bug dope we need to bring! Thanks for any first hand knowledge!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Just the deer flys were biting...didn't see many mosquitos. I did however see velvet ants (wasps) on several occasions. Just be careful if you sleep on the ground, that sting is NOT how you want to be awoken.

·
River girl
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for the input! It started finally raining a bit a couple of weeks ago, so was hoping that those darn mosquitos hadn't come out yet! I appreciate all the comments!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Rather than start a new annual Ruby Bug thread, I figured I'd revive this one...
Anyone been down in the last week? Wondering specifically about Cottonwood Bench/Banjo.
I'm hoping that the peak was low enough that it didn't lead to much of a hatch.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Spent this past Saturday night at Mee Canyon. Mosquitos came out with a fury the second the wind died down. I’d imagine it’s worse at some of those upstream camps.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Spent this past Saturday night at Mee Canyon. Mosquitos came out with a fury the second the wind died down. I’d imagine it’s worse at some of those upstream camps.
Thanks for the update. If they were bad at mee, I’d bet they’re worse up canyon. :(
Anyone else been out this week?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts