Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Friday 5/28 permit for Ruby I got exactly 60 days beforehand.
Because of the hack people must be using by booking days they don't plan on using I was never able to book any downstream camps despite being online and searching at exactly the moment they went live. The downstream camps never came up as available....I was even able to see Middle Fork cancellations 2 weeks ago, just wan't able to book fast enough.
A 1 night Ruby trip isn't worth the 5hr drive for me or my family.
Recreation.gov needs to fix this problem....

I can coordinate a release time & day with someone if they want it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you suspect people are hacking the system to secure permits? Like with concert tickets.
What people are doing is booking their preferred campsite a few days or up to a week before they intend to go. It lets you choose how many days you want to stay at the site. Then they cancel or no-show at the site. It's been impossible to secure a campsite at Mee Canyon or the good Black Rocks sites because of this without using this technique. I wish Wreck.gov or the BLM could do something about it....
In the past you had to log on 2 consecutive days to try and reserve a site...layovers at sites weren't guaranteed.

·
Registered
130 Posts
^^This is really interesting. I tried to get a camp for Saturday over Memorial Day weekend and at 8 in the AM, there was only maybe half the sites even available. This make sense why I got screwed this year.

·
Registered
115 Posts
They need to go back to the old system where you can only reserve 60 days in advance and have to do it consecutive mornings for multi-day trips. It is the only way to make it fair.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I wish they would open up 1 week (Wednesday through tuesday) at a time. So if you wanted to get multiple days you would login 60 days out from the Wednesday and you could reserve your days for that block of time. If you wanted to reserve a tuesday and wednesday you'd have to login for 2 consecutive weeks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What people are doing is booking their preferred campsite a few days or up to a week before they intend to go. It lets you choose how many days you want to stay at the site. Then they cancel or no-show at the site. It's been impossible to secure a campsite at Mee Canyon or the good Black Rocks sites because of this without using this technique. I wish Wreck.gov or the BLM could do something about it....
In the past you had to log on 2 consecutive days to try and reserve a site...layovers at sites weren't guaranteed.
If you are a no-show for a day, do you lose your permit? What are the consequences of booking 3 nights and not showing up for the first night? This system is complex now and I just wonder how people are gaming the system.....it's disappointing that you can hardly get good sites anymore.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts