Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing a Ruby Horsethief trip next week(6/3). Thinking it will be in the 20,000 range by then. We will have kids 3 to 7 years old on the trip. Everyone rowing are 20+ year commercial guides. Anything we need to watch out for?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Some of the camps at Blackrock can be hard to eddie out at during high water. Best to stop at the top of Blackrocks and scout out your camp and landing spot.

·
Registered
527 Posts
The put in beach will be small, if it is a busy day be prepared to rig up top and drive down to drop your boats.

As I am sure you know keep an eye on the kids when they are near the river it will be cranking by.

Like Dan said some of the camp eddies get small, other than that it is just flat water moving along quickly.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
447 Posts
I don't think you'll see 20K +, maybe 15k, 13900 according to the forecast center.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
There are some fun cliff jumping spots at Black Rock - at high flows people can go for unintentionally long swims and have to fight hard to make it back to shore. A couple years ago at 20K I helped rescue several people.

Otherwise it is just fast moving flat water with some class II at black rocks.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I don't know how much it will help your little ones, but my 8 year old has a whistle on her vest for those "just in case" moments. If she finds herself in the river and floating away she knows she can blow the whistle and get our attention. Now before I get flamed....we watch her like a hawk when we are on the river, but it gives us a little peace of mind knowing she has a way to get peoples attention if in need.

My 8 year old and I have been doing high flow "Daddy-Daughter" trips for 5 years on Ruby and were actually interviewed by the Grand Junction News once at the boat ramp for launching at 49k (super high water). We have always had a great time even with the flooded out camp sites. Like many have said before me, unless you have a really good eddy, swimming or being near the water should always have a adult with PFD nearby.

Bring some other games to play as swim time for the kiddos will be limited. Horseshoes, Uno, Nerf ball, beach games and hikes have always allowed us to have a great time.

Many of the channels are open at high flow, so with a little caution...the channels can be great time to adventure on the float down. Left of Dog Island is about the only one we have not been able to get down without getting out and dragging a little.

Other than that....it still a great time with the kids. Just use a little more caution as the water is moving faster. AND as another person posted on here...if your staying at Black Rocks pull over early and go scout your landing for your site. We stayed at Black Rock 9 once when it was flowing 30k + and had lots of up river guest that missed their site. If you do miss your site there are some less desirable "oops we passed it" camping further down river.

Have fun and remember its not about the destination so much as it is about the journey with the kids. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
We're doing this float on the 8th. Any idea on how long in hours from the rim rock shuttle put in to black rocks at current flows (~15k)?

·
Registered
461 Posts
At normal flow, Rim Rock launch adds hour. From Loma launch to Black rock at normal flows is about 4-6 hrs. At high flow, I've made that trip in 3 hours. Normal flow expect 3-5 miles an hour, at 30k or higher the gps showed us clipping along at 7-8 mph in the main flow. Stay out the eddy sand you should Cruz this time of year. Once when it was just my 3 year old and I doing annual Daddy-Daughter float at 30k + we hit a storm with 40 mph head winds, we launched from Loma at noon and got to Black Rock at 1:30 am. The next day, I saw my ranger buddy and told him of our mis-adventure and he said next time pull over were ever you can and camp.....that they would understand. But we do about 3 week long trips on Ruby a year for the past 8 years and I've only experienced bad storms twice. Don't let them ruin your time if you do catch one, just roll with it and impervise. The rangers are great guys, if you really try to follow the rules but weather won't cooperate they will understand. Of course if you have camp coffe on....that helps too. It's great out there...have a blast!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
forgot to mention that if you have little ones keep an eye on them and don't let them play near the water. that water is moving fast.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We had planned on that same weekend, with three young kids, but bailed. Thinking of going in a week or so, but flow will probably still be near 20K. Not sure how different things are between 24K and 20K. Any other things to note other than watching kids in camp? Was it difficult to catch any of the camps (we have Cottonwood 1 and Blackrocks 7) or was Blackrocks pushy at all. I have kayaked for 15 years, but have only rowed a small amount (got kids...had to switch to a raft).

Thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
BAILING

If any of you all plan on Bailing on Ruby for the weekend of JULY 4th ( specifically July 3rd.) Please let me know!!!! We need a camp for Friday.
thanks

·
Registered
312 Posts
We had planned on that same weekend, with three young kids, but bailed. Thinking of going in a week or so, but flow will probably still be near 20K. Not sure how different things are between 24K and 20K. Any other things to note other than watching kids in camp? Was it difficult to catch any of the camps (we have Cottonwood 1 and Blackrocks 7) or was Blackrocks pushy at all. I have kayaked for 15 years, but have only rowed a small amount (got kids...had to switch to a raft).

Thanks
You should have no problems, it is a flat water section (up to >50000 cfs) there is just more water moving a little faster. Have a great trip!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
You should have no problems, it is a flat water section (up to >50000 cfs) there is just more water moving a little faster. Have a great trip!!!

Thanks...looks like flow is dropping quickly anyway. Anyone been on the river recently and know how the bugs are given the wet spring?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Bugs are bad!

Dude......we bailed yesterday and camped in Fruita, the mesquitos and nats were soooooo bad. After the can of Off was gone, you couldnt go anywhere near the water without being bit-swarmed by hundreds of mesquitos. We stayed 3 nights, Cottonwood sites suprisingly seemed manageable, forget anything below that. Signed "itchy from head to toe"

1 - 20 of 24 Posts