Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning on taking the family down Ruby Horse Theft on Memorial Day weekend. Need some help with info...
- Camping...Can I reserve a spot before I get there or is it day of sign up only?
- I know Memorial Day is going to be busy. If yes to the above...if I get there mid-day Friday, will I still be able to get a descent (or any) camping spot?
- Which are the better spots to camp at? What are the worst spots?
- Shuttle...is there someone that runs one down there? Name, web site or phone number would be sweet if you have it.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
71 Posts
-You can only sign up when you get to the put in. There is a reservation board there and you sign for the site you want. it is very common to get to your site and find that it has been taken.
-I have never run it memorial day so I cant anwser this one.
-Black rocks sites are great, so is fault line.
-American spirit shuttle, I have used then three times with no problems. (970)523-7662

·
Registered
299 Posts
If you can launch Friday afternoon and get ahead of the mob, you might be fine...then you could have a short Sat morning into Blackrocks for Sat night camp...dunno how many others are planning the same thing though...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've used Rimrock Adventures out of Fruita with no complaints. Leaving from fruita adds about 4 miles of easy class I+ to the trip. The camp sites are big and can easily accommodate several groups. Also, there is dispersed camping along the river in non-designated sites. I'm sure I'll get flamed for saying this, but it's BLM land, so anywhere that is not specifically designated no camping is fair game. The BLM would prefer that you camped in one of the designated sites, there are a number of established non-designated sites too.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Please sign up for a campsite at the Loma boat launch to camp in the river corridor.
Camping is allowed anywhere along the river corridor except where excluded by signage, within ½ mile of eagle nesting zones, and on private land. The BLM has cleared, improved, and marked all accessible and appropriate sites. All camping is primitive in nature. A voluntary campsite sign-in system constitutes neither a permit nor a reservation, nor does it grant exclusive use. It is an ‘Information Only’ system for other boaters.

Ruby-Horsethief Camping

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you get to the put in by mid day on friday I wouldn't even try blackrocks. There is always some dickhead that screws it up for everyone else. Try the first campsite at Mee Canyon, great side hikes and enough shade.

·
Registered
50 Posts
A voluntary campsite sign-in system constitutes neither a permit nor a reservation, nor does it grant exclusive use. It is an ‘Information Only’ system for other boaters.
---
It's a friendly campsite reservation system. During a busy holiday week you can't expect to have exclusive rights to a prime camp spot. In 30 miles of river, there's 60 miles of shoreline. Camping on the river won't be "full." If you want exclusive rights, buy that $100 million ranch, string barbed wire across the river, and wave your gun at the "trespassers." See where that gets you. Remember this is public water on public land, everyone has an equal right of usage. Just don't leave a big pile of beer cans and a steaming pile of shit and toilet paper, that's all we can reasonably hope for.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts