1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
765 Posts
Yeah,that rapid looks gnarly. Left side of that island looks hudge!

PF rapid is just past the improved take-out?? The rapids too new for my guidebook and we have yet to take-out past diamond...

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's possible it will waterfall, but that much water going over consolidated sediment has a lot of downcutting force. As it downcuts and is just below the take out, maintaining the Ramp should be "interesting".

Barry, did you look at the Ramp photos? Follow the link above. There's a map posted there.

Yours, tom

·
Registered
614 Posts
The lake does not currently back up to the PF rapid and so the level isn't controlling what this rapid looks like.

There are rapids further downstream that will change with a further drop in Lake Mead.

Note that lake level is projected to fall until it surpasses its current level in July or August of this year. These rapids are likely to increase in severity until then.

See page 23 of this link http://www.usbr.gov/lc/region/g4000/AOP2010/AOP10.pdf

·
Registered
312 Posts
It seems to me the biggest current issue with this drop (other than the fact the river bottom is changing over time) is what the run will be a differing flows. When I ran it in mid January, flow was 17-18k and the line was far different than the apparent line is now at lower flow. The lower flow in the picture looks like it forces you even further left at the top which increases exposure to the far left hole at the bottom. Still, the rapid at the mid point turn looks like it gives you a sweet spot and the time you need to stroke back center and away from the lower hole. I think this drop is a high IV or low V and is being way overblown in its perils. Although the entry and a must make move are critical, it still flushes clean if you go left of the top hole and right of the bottom hole from where I am sitting and the aftermath is immediately back to a class I river. I would not want to be swept into it unawares regardless.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts