Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I've got a group that wants to raft the Royal Gorge this May or June. They want the PANTS scared off 'em. :shock: Can someone please recommend a good company?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Go with Lost Paddle Rafting Owned by Jim Wick- When you get the "pants scared off of them" blame it on Brenner from Durango, Formally from the fort

·
Registered
4 Posts
...be careful what you wish for, for it may come true...
Ask for Pat Toft down at the small but Quality: Raven Adventures(on top of the hill just up from the parkdale put in). Or Jim Whiteside at Royal Gorge Rafting.
Pura Vida
OZ

·
Registered
202 Posts
RGR is no longer there. Asking for Mr. Clean from River Runners would be a good idea, he's one of the best on the river. For real fun you should look for a private trip though!?!

·
Registered
480 Posts
I did a trip with River Runners and it did scare the shit out of me. This guy had no clue as to what he was doing and had such a quiet voice, we could never hear his commands. The raft didn't even have foot cups for the people in the front so they got tossed out a couple of times. What a joke that was.

Try Canyon Marine. They have an office at the Royal Gorge and another in Salida.

·
Registered
184 Posts
i think clear creek is your best bet down at the gorge office as trips are small in number of rafts and the guides are highly experienced(youngest having 8 years).

·
Registered
202 Posts
Foot cups? What a false illusion of saftey those are! Most companies down here no longer use them because the danger outweighs the benefits. Runners is a quality outfit, as most are in the Gorge. Buffaloe Joes has the best lunch though, hands down.

·
Registered
137 Posts
go to Clear Creek Rafting. Its up on the hill by the gorge bridge. Ask for Garry Larry. Garry would be glad to scare the s**t out of you. Ask him to surf you anywhere possible. Believe me.

tony

·
Registered
480 Posts
Foot cups are really nice, Peev when your raft repeatedly runs into rocks on the river and high-sides and there isn't anything to grap on to. I guess sitting in the middle with one foot under the twart is a false way to keep you in the boat too. :roll:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Convenient I'll agree, and I know the customers love them. I still believe they pose a greater danger than they do a benefit. The only good way to stay in the boat is to listen to your guide!

·
Registered
786 Posts
I think you need foot cups in the front of the boatfor most of these passengers that come on these trips. Elsewhere is not as important . But I have seen many customers save themselves with foot cups. The dangers are really not that likely if you just tell them not to shove their feet way up into them. If they just use them as supports for the front of their feet ie their toes they are helpful.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I've never seen it happen, but I've heard stories of a raft stopping quickly and someone breaking their leg quickly falling forward. Other than that there isn't much danger. They also help with paddling power by providing stability, any extra power you can get out of overweight texans is a plus.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Thanks for the reply

Peev, you sounded really adament about the danger of foot cups, I have never heard of somebody breaking their leg either but I still would like to hear if anybody has any first-hand experience or if this is just another story hatched from too many beers and MEK.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have never heard of anyone breaking their leg either. However I have witnessed first hand, a client on my boat, sprain their ankle. This particular person had their foot wedged in there, too deep I'm sure, and we hit a rock. They fell backwards, and instead of falling out their ankle stayed put. I know other guides who have been through this, twisted and sprained ankles. I've heard the horror stories of the entrapment possibility but have never witnessed it. I guess you could relate this to the face cage, some like it and some hate it. :twisted:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts