Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have paddled the gorge at 800 and 1100cfs. What is it like at the 400 to 500 range? Is it harder or easier? How does it compare to the Numbers at 400 to 500?

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
I would say that the gorge is harder as it drops from 800. Sunshine get sticky.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I would have to say it depends on the rapid you are going through. Sunshine is stickier but 3 rocks is easier. So, it really depends on the rapid and what the level is. I will tell you there are more rocks so its more technical all around. Good luck and god speed!! :?

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
3 rocks is on parkdale and not in the gorge but yes i would say its pretty easy at low water

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Did it the other day at 527. As expected, it's a little more technical. Sledgehammer was a little trickier than when it's higher. Wallslammer seems a little easier. But then there's Sunshine. It's really no big deal over 700, so I wasn't really paying attention to where I was in Sunshine. My complacency was rewarded with a mid-run rodeo session in the hole. And that hole is one sticky mofo at this level. I was pretty happy once it finally let me go. I would say Sunshine is harder and the rest is pretty similar in difficulty.

COUNT

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
easier cept for sunshine

·
Registered
586 Posts
Yeah -- Sunshine is even significantly harder at 400 than at 525.
As it drops, that ledge gets steeper and the hole harder to skirt/dodge/boof.
It's nasty all the way down to 275. (Haven't been in there lower than that)

I agree with GH -- generally a little easier run than numbers at 500, except for Sunshine which is harder than anything on Numbers at that flow. Sledgehammer is tricky at that low level, too.

I'm planning to run it on sunday if you're interested.

-Mike

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ahhhh Yes. El Giante in sunshine. A formidable hydraulic, indeed. There are some sweeet carn videos of all types of crafts gettin the s*it kicked in that thing. It starts to get a little more creeky as it gets lower. Around 375-450 is when the hole is at its worst. Thats really the only thing to note. The rest should be easy read and run, nice and slow.

·
Registered
157 Posts
ohhh.. people do play trips down there all year. Some local Canon boaters always do a new years trip. Just be ready to portage some ice bridges..... Canon WAOs have done it down to 200 +/- cfs

·
Registered
989 Posts
Just boof sunshine a little with hard left to right momentum and you can catch that eddy right beside the hole. Then you have a nice vantage point to watch your buddies get worked if they're not paying attention. :twisted:

Stay out of that hole and the run is class 3 at current levels. The flatwater gets LONG and if you like scraping along the bottom and having rocks slam your leather cherio you'll have a great time!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Sunshine is harder, the hole is about 2/3 or 3/4 down on the right side, the only real option at this level. Boof to the right.

Sledgehammer is Easier. The horizon lines are more pronounced but you are moving slower and should have time to adjust as needed. You may still want to stay left at the bottom to avoid Clarks Hole. It's not terrible at this level, but can still catch you by surprise if you are not expecting it.

Wallslammer has the couple holes against the wall (right side) at the top, but if you stay left you can avoid all that. In fact, the farther left, the easier. If you hug the left side, it may even feel like class II+. (Boring, but gives you time to enjoy the spectacular view.)

Don't even worry about Boat Eater hole. It's a big rock.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
so thats the secret? i thought you were supposed to do something stupid at wallslammer which seems to be my line anyway.

There is one easy line at sunshine.....far, far right.....the dirt path

greg

·
Registered
194 Posts
I did it several weeks ago when it was in the mid 600's and I noticed a sweet line through Sunshine that I had not seen before. After entergint he zigzag thing you can move far left. The river left channel mostly pours back into the right except for a clean pour over boof into a pretty calm pool. Eddying out of this pool would be the only hard part to this line.

Might want to check it out, you can only run the right line so many times....

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
I saw that line at 600cfs as well, seemed like it would be fun.

G

·
0 Posts
I would say the gorge is easier as it drops from 800. Sunshine flushes. 3 rocks are Parkdale is balls to the wall. That line at 600 looks as exciting as skiing Keystone.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I saw that left line the last time I was in there, about a month ago ~500 or 600. It was a fun boof over the pour over, but you're bouncing off a lot of rocks before it which kinda sucked. I'd recommend the normal boof over sunshine. If it bores you, just back paddle instead of boof.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts