Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At current levels and down to the 700 cfs base levels, how would it be to row a 15' oarframe down the Royal Gorge? I haven't had too many issues on Brown's but I was thinking there may be some tighter sections in the gorge that would make constantly shipping oars difficult or just a pain.

What do you think? I sure don't want to swim anyone!

·
Registered
795 Posts
It's actually pretty do able, I used to row it a lot at current flows. It'll be a little tight at sunshine, sledge, and wallslammer....but other than that, the rest is very manageable. It would be hard to escape those three without a bump or two.

·
Registered
487 Posts
If you have passengers and they have a paddle you'll be fine. If they are just riding, you'll be fine, you may have to bang on some rocks and plan on some bouncing, but nothing bad.

·
Registered
123 Posts
It's actually pretty do able, I used to row it a lot at current flows. It'll be a little tight at sunshine, sledge, and wallslammer....but other than that, the rest is very manageable. It would be hard to escape those three without a bump or two.
Ditto GoodTimes. My only advice is to ship quickly for you will hit a wall or two with your oars. Use oar locks vs pen and clips for quick pull in.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You could also grow some balls and buy a kayak, then you wouldn't have to ask obvious questions. The only thing gayer pushing rubber is doing it on the Royal Gorge - hands down the most over rated section of river in the country.

·
Registered
96 Posts
gorge in oarframe

and of course, if you are not familiar with the format here (if you want maturity- visit Professor Paddle in Seattle) - I will tell you that years ago I pushed my 16' Achilles with 10' oars through the Gorge at 700cfs- and at that time I was basically a class 3 boater- made the s turn above sunshine, nearly wrapped above sledge, banged around in the narrows, banged the wall in wall slammer, but all in all had fun-
you gotta start somewhere- so forget the elitist advice- go for it- and find someone to run with that will keep an eye on you- if I had the time in the next few weeks I'd gladly go- send my off a message and let me know when and where
wayne

1 - 6 of 6 Posts