Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
God Amongst Men
1,993 Posts
Heard last night the river is closed from Spikebuck to Canon City. 50 was closed from Parkdale to CCity last I heard.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a good point. I've cut and pasted this (they posted it 18 hours ago, so it may have changed, but they don't have a new post up, yet):

Highway 50 from Skyline Drive to Parkdale is now closed 1500 hours 6/11/2013. We are trying to keep up with conditions to assist the public and locals in manuevering around the fire area.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I saw a report that 2 buildings at the Gorge tourist site have burned and tram cables have fallen into the river, it may be a while after the fire is out before the Gorge is boatable again.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Here is what is posted at Royal Gorge Anglers 6/12/2013

Currently US HWY 50 is closed at 1st St. Bridge up to HWY 9 due to the encroaching fire line.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
The post I saw was this: "The Theater and a lodge have burned.
Also, they are saying that the cables from the tram have fallen into the gorge. This could potentially keep boaters and the train out of the gorge for a while, even when the fire is contained and put out."

Is it possible the towers melted or bent over in the heat?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Here is what is posted at Royal Gorge Anglers 6/12/2013

Currently US HWY 50 is closed at 1st St. Bridge up to HWY 9 due to the encroaching fire line.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Sorry about the double post, it was up and looked like I didnt post it while I was closing some windows. Now it is not letting me delete the redundancy.
:confused:

·
Registered
323 Posts
From the photos I've seen, there was a lot of wood construction mixed in with the tramway buildings, some even had shake shingles, so its not surprising that it burned and the cables collapsed into the gorge.

At least the bridge weathered the storm. Dodged a bullet there...

Upside is that of all of the tourist activities, rafting should make a quick comeback. Once the canyon is clear, all you need are boats and water

1 - 14 of 14 Posts