Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does this run at 1000 cfs? I want to R2 it this weekend and it will be my first time in the Gorge. At this level what rapids are to be scouted - sunshine and wall slammer? Pretty easy to read and run most of it? Can it be done with a 2-3pm start time before dark?

any camping recs in the area? I was told shelf rd is pretty sweet and there may be some climbers with us.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Just an FYI, the climbing sections off the Shelf Rd are a pretty fair way up a sometimes rough gravel road, esp. if you're bringing a trailer, from Canon City and the Gorge take out.

·
Registered
806 Posts
From what I can recall, much of the area around Shelf Rd is pretty scrubby. There is a camping area up Shelf Rd not too far out of CC which is called Red Canyon (or Red Rocks Canyon). I've ridden by it several times on my dirt bike and think it is signed. I seem to remember more, nicer places to camp on the lower part of Phantom Canyon Rd, but that's farther yet. You could go up PC Rd to Victor and then down to Divide and Woodland park on the way back to Denver - not too hard of a ride, very pretty, and easier IMO than Shelf Rd. There also used to be a lot of good camping on the south side of the Gorge, in the Temple Canyon/Grape Creek area but that may have been affected by the fire.

·
Banned
678 Posts
Climbing at shelf is super fun. You'll be fine in a Tacoma. There is also a pay camp site ($7 I think) walking distance to some of the easier climbing.

Sunshine isn't a bad scout and probably a good idea since it's probably the longest rapid in there. Wall slammer is easier, stay off the right wall as the river curves to the right. 3+/4- at 1000. If you do fine through sunshine you don't need to scout anything else.

·
Registered
51 Posts
There are two great campgrounds at Shelf Rd. (The Banks and Sand Gulch) but they usually fill up fast so I wouldn't count on showing up Saturday and getting one. There's also no water so plan accordingly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts