Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when I hit the lochsaw last year, I was surprised at how unconditioned I was for the trip. I've been considering a home rowing machine for the winter. Does anyone do this? Any recommendations for models?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Yep, I do that. I bought a cheap one that uses shock absorber things for resistance off CL many years ago and will spend some time on it over the winter. It's pretty small and keeps me from getting completely atrophied over the long winter. Sometimes I'll even row along to my Middle Fork DVD to keep from getting too bored and depressed until the runoff.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
I bought a Concept 2 just over a year ago. I LOVE it. It was not cheap ($900) but I have not found anything else that properly prepares me for boating season. When I first got it I used it a LOT. Now I use it once a week and use P90 as my daily workout program. We live quite a ways out of town so a home gym is a priority for us.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I tend to do dumb bell rows before the season to get in shape. Both low weight/high reps and high weight/low reps. I just can't stay motivated to work the rowing machine for more than 3 minutes at a time. I think a combination of the 2 would be ideal.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
I don't know why anyone would want to listen to the noise of a Concept 2 when there is this alternative:

http://www.waterrower.com

I've had one about 5 years and I love it. Very natural stroke and extremely well made.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
I have never heard of those. They look interesting. It doesn't look like they split in half for daily storage, which is nice with my CII. Crew rowers I know say that the CII is the standard for competitive training, fwiw. Loud? What? Haha, I wear headphones.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Never heard of the WaterRower so I had to research some online reviews. My friend has the Concept II and loves it. That is what I used when I had a gym membership.

It looks like the WaterRower s designed to store vertically and fits within a standard 8 foot ceiling. The water-based mechanism sounds interesting. How does the stroke compare on it, Osseous? Sounds like it mimics the initial part of a true rowing stroke better but reviews mention the mechanism naturally reduces resistance after momentum is built up? True? Does that seem to better mimic how rowing speed affects the experience on the water as well?

My needs list from my winter paycheck may be growing now.

Phillip

·
Registered
536 Posts
4 years on a Concept II in college and still use one, although not as quickly anymore... The water rower is a little sluggish compared to a skull, but that wouldn't make a difference moving to a gear boat. On any of them be careful with technique or you can blow out your back

Sent from my magical wireless thingy via mountainbuzz

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
With the water rower the action is as smooth as can be- very similar to real rowing. Change the water level for more or less resistance. This is a beautifully made, quality piece. Noise is a gentle swooshing sound. Stand it up and wheel it into a corner for storage. They make an aluminum one if you want a more modern look.

I have nothing against the Concept 2- it's a fantastic machine- I just feel like in the home a beautiful, quiet, effective device is more desireable. I really feel that the workout is comparable, but I'm happy to leave the WaterRower out in my home. People often compliment it for its build quality and materials.

·
Plunk your magic twanger!
1,275 Posts
The company I work for just put a WaterRower in our workout room. My wife, who works for the same company, tried it the other day and just told me about it. She didn't understand how to change the resistance so I was actually just looking these up this morning. It was set up to be very easy to row and she felt it wasn't giving her much of a workout. I would love to get on a rowing machine this winter and this might actually get me into the workout room!

Osseous, how practical is this machine in a gym? Would it be a pain to keep changing the amount of water in it to fit my workout? I'm not sure how many other people are using it.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
You only need to adjust the water to a suitable "weight"- then the speed and strength of your pull will determine how difficult your workout is. Hard to explain, but the harder your "catch" or initial pull is, the more resistance you will feel. You need to get the volume of water circling the tank- so the feel is very much like a real boat. I never change my water volume- I just row harder or faster to increase intensity.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Keep it simple

Lots of options besides expensive equipment or gym memberships. Do some googling about exercise bands - not much you can't get done. They're inexpensive, simple and safe. Simple rowing exercises and push ups will provide the basics for your needs. Other band exercises can help with full body muscular fitness. Walking/running/swimming/biking will take care of your overall endurance. Yoga for flexibility and balance. I'm 66 and believe me it doesn't get easier. I do belong to an athletic club but for many years used the system described above and it worked fine. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I rowed in college and we used the Concept II machines. They're torture devices. Then again, we were trying to push our times to the limit. It's a different motion than rowing a raft though, if that's what you're trying to simulate. They are good for a full body workout though and you can get an intense workout in a short period of time. If you go that route, as someone mentioned, learn to do it right to protect your back.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I pull about half the time, maybe less. During rapids I push more but most rivers I do have more flat water than whitewater.

There is nothing else that mimics oar rigs as close. Versa climbers and some of those pedal machines that are used with arms help develop upper body cardio stamina but that don't remotely mimic the rowing mechanics.

Imperfect but close enough to be worth the effort.

Phillip

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Do you all really pull that much on the river?
It isn't all, or even a mostly arm workout. The torso is a major player, and I have found it tough to get that type of workout any other way. Cardio for your back? It also really helps when surfing my cat, I had 3 minimum 60 s surfs last Sunday on the Lochsa, and it is tiring!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts