Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 17 years of waiting, I got a Grand Canyon permit!! I have never used rowing gloves and was hoping to get some opinions. I have been looking at the NRS women's fingerless rowing gloves, and am wondering if anyone has used them. Any other suggestions that can help this be the perfect trip would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Link to NRS rowing gloves
NRS Women's Boaters Gloves

·
Registered
765 Posts
I don't use gloves either,but went with the fingerless ones(mens) for our Grand trip. I really liked em,could hardly tell they were on. But i still ended up having the insides of my thumbs(uncovered part) split open from the blisters. But your hands will kind've numb to the blisters around week two. Bring lotion and ointment.
Gotta love Grand. Can't wait to go back next year

Also,a guy in our group really turned me on to this lotion/ointment called Gly-Miracle. Order that stuff! Not oily and smells nice...

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I just use fingerless biking gloves... essentially the same thing as the NRS ones you're looking at. Haven't done the Grand, but I'm sure some major skin cracking will occur. Don't know the Gly-Miracle, but I do swear by O'Keefe's Working Hands. It too is non-greasy, and was a big hit on my recent San Juan trip. My compadres damned near killed my supply, slathering all over their hands, elbows and knees. Good for Chaco heel too...

·
Registered
679 Posts
Good for Chaco heel too...
Pearl Izumi Bike Gloves are the best, by far and away. I use them in Canada and Minnesota for canoeing and here in the mountains for rafting. As far as "Chaco heel", which I've always had a really bad case of. I use Calendula and Flexitol Heel Balm and I never leave for an extended trip without a PED-EGG, my heels have returned from looking like Frankensteins teeth to almost human after this discovery.

·
I have quite wearing gloves unless I need them for warmth. On our Grand trip last Sept., I never wore gloves and do not get any blisters. I found that sometimes the seams in the gloves were giving me blisters, so that is why I quite wearing them with no regrets. On the Grand, I used a lot lotion on my hands and heels. Cetaphil for my hands and Super Salve for my heels. I have also heard good things about Mom's Stuff from Joe the Potter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just use some fingerless fishing gloves, they give that extra bit of support from blisters, although i got a pretty bad blister on the inside of my thumb yesterday

·
Kjirsten
1,483 Posts
Good for Chaco heel too...

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
TMTTR - were you able to get out on the Animas this weekend? Looks like it's running nicely at 4500. I'm stuck doing yardwork...

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Ran the Grand last October/November and only used gloves on 2 or 3 cold days. No blisters.

I brought a lot of lotion and used a lot. One guy had Am-Lactin and it worked pretty well, but after reading the drug facts online not sure I would reccommend it - but it worked just fine for our group. Another had something for swimmers that also worked well, although it was greasy - so better for overnight use - unless you enjoy your oars slipping out of your hands. Remember that the clorine in your wash water will also dry out your skin, probably one of the reasons that swimmers stuff worked so well - swimmers swin in chlorine all the time. Plain chapstick works well for cracks. Wearing cotton gloves/socks over the lotion works well at night. Becasue it was cool to cold at night we wore shoes at camp most nights - becasue of this no one had issues with dry/cracked feet.

·
Kjirsten
1,483 Posts
TMTTR - were you able to get out on the Animas this weekend? Looks like it's running nicely at 4500. I'm stuck doing yardwork...
I did 4 trips- looks like it peaked at about 5080 on Saturday and is slowly coming down now. This morning on my way to work it was looking decidely more green than brown.:( Even with ALP pumping water, Santa Rita and Sawmill rapids are rowdy- for anyone who was wondering.

So as not to hi-jack this thread completely- the gloves I use for cold water are these. They are a little stiffer and seem to crease less, protecting the hands more.

NRS Reactor Gloves

·
SarahofTheWaves
364 Posts
Glove on the Grand. In general I do not wear gloves, however,

The sun is very intense on your hands. Gloves will cover the backs.
Rigging a raft on the Grand is the most brutal on your hands. I wear gloves for rigging. Sand and webbing can really eat your hands up.
Doing dishes. Wear the rubber gloves!

So yes you need gloves. A thin pair for rowing/sunprotection. Atlas gloves.
Rigging gloves.
Dish gloves.

Have fun. And take care of your feet, too.
s

·
Super Moderator
3,960 Posts
I picked up a couple of pairs of gardening gloves ($4 @ Home Despot) with the blue grippy palm/fingertips and wore them every day for all manual labor and any time I had to handle straps and for most days rowing. They're cheap enough to grab an extra pair or two for backup in case you lose your main pair of gloves. They gave me plenty of dexterity, felt great rigging, and were excellent for swimming and climbing back up onto rafts, etc. :) I wore some cheap neoprene fisherman's gloves on a couple of days when it was chilly and they worked pretty well but were starting to come apart by the end of the trip. That with copious amounts of lotion at the campfire (tripcost a couple of bottles and just pass 'em around the fire) kept my hands in great shape - no blisters or cracks.

Also, I found sleeping in socks most nights and wearing sneakers with socks on in camp most of the time kept my feet from cracking.

Have a great trip!

-AH

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I went on the grand last spring, and it was the first boating of the season. The skin on my hands were not "in shape". I have very delicate skin, and need to wear gloves more than most. I like the full finger version of the glove you show, they also have a rigging glove I like too. I went full finger for almost 2 weeks, until the tips of my fingers toughened up, then I went fingerless.

If I were in your spot (which I was), I'd bring a fingerless, and a full finger, and use what feels good.

L

·
Registered
24 Posts
cheap white gloves

I use the ones that are white cotton with the rubber knobbies on them. Esp. if you are doing a summer trip, the cotton will kick in the evaporative coolling and keep the sun off your hands.

Gloves for rigging

thin cotton gloves for sleeping after I grease up with burts bees. feet too.

·
Kjirsten
1,483 Posts
I went full finger for almost 2 weeks, until the tips of my fingers toughened up, then I went fingerless.
L
That would solve the callous problems, but how do you hold on to the oars? :wink: 3 days til we can start logging all this vertical, Laura!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Mostly, I don't wear gloves. Those foam oargrips tend to raise blister, compared to bare plastic or wood. But for days of upstream wind, and constant hard pulling, I wear fingerless sailing gloves: synthetic stretchy stuff with leather palm and the underside of the fingers. Probably the same as rowing gloves. No blisters so far.

To ward off heel cracks, I use a power sander on my heels— the vibrating placket kind, not a belt sander god forbid, with medium-coarse paper. Wearing sandals and constant wetting and drying thickens and dries your skin. Also, the wee bacteria or whatever that devour dead skin cells inside your socks are killed off on river trips.

They sell little steel rasps, pumice sticks, and similar thingies for grinding off foot callus. On long trips, I've sanded my heels with pieces of sandstone. Applying foot cream and wearing socks to bed also helps.

Getting to point where you need superglue means you're letting it go too long without preventative measures. If you get some bad bacteria in a crack and glue it shut, you could have trouble.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
That would solve the callous problems, but how do you hold on to the oars? :wink: 3 days til we can start logging all this vertical, Laura!
Didn't I tell you? I just use the "force".

I have a 30 mile run set up for Friday, don't know the vert off hand but it's a big one, the full Lochsa run! Wahoo!!!

·
Kjirsten
1,483 Posts
Didn't I tell you? I just use the "force".

I have a 30 mile run set up for Friday, don't know the vert off hand but it's a big one, the full Lochsa run! Wahoo!!!
I'm trying to hit the Dolores. My favorite multi-day!

·
Registered
58 Posts
No need to start using gloves now(unless it's freezin cold). Just love your hands and feet with some high grade lotion every night. Have a great trip!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello all- reviving this old thread as my first post here!

I am also going on the Grand, next month, and I want gloves mostly for sun protection (but I suppose blister protection too)- anything new "under the sun" that folks recommend? Thanks!

(I'm rowing a raft and it'll be July, so something light-colored and COOL will be key!)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts