Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a hard time taking people seriously who say they "oared a raft" down the river. Paddles are used for paddling. Oars are used for rowing. Sure, I know what you mean, but you sound like a complete gaper when you say "oaring."

Just saying. . .

·
Registered
37 Posts
I roared the Poudre this morning and loved it. LOVED IT!

I have a hard time taking people serious who analyze other peoples choice of vernacular.

·
Boy Howdy!
1,064 Posts
From a previous thread : Do we
oar(ôr, file:///C:/Users
n.
1. A long, thin, usually wooden pole with a blade at one end, used to row or steer a boat.
2. A person who rows a boat, especially in a race.
v. oared, oar·ing, oars
v.tr.
1. To propel with or as if with oars or an oar.
2. To traverse with or as if with oars or an oar: an hour to oar the strait.
v.intr.
To move forward by or as if by rowing: oared strongly across the finish line.

Or do we:

row 2(r[IMG
v. rowed, row·ing, rows
v.intr. Nautical
To propel a boat with or as if with oars.
v.tr.
1. Nautical
a. To propel (a boat) with or as if with oars.
b. To carry in or on a boat propelled by oars.
c. To use (a specified number of oars or people deploying them).
2. To propel or convey in a manner resembling rowing of a boat.
3. Sports
a. To pull (an oar) as part of a racing crew.
b. To race against by rowing.
n. Nautical
a. The act or an instance of rowing.
b. A shift at the oars of a boat.
2. A trip or an excursion in a rowboat

[URL]http://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f11/do-you-oar-or-row-27468.html[/URL]

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think of rowing as pulling backwards and oaring as pushing the oars forward. So I do both. "Row" backwards is almost "oar". If you squint and have a couple of beers.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I think of rowing as pulling backwards and oaring as pushing the oars forward. So I do both. "Row" backwards is almost "oar". If you squint and have a couple of beers.

Not this again! I agree with above, rowing refers to pulling vs. pushing.

Debate over, mods please lock this thread:eek:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Using "oar" as a verb is grammatically incorrect...then again so are lots of things I say everyday. However, I simply can't take anyone serious who says "I'm gonna go oar my raft down the upper c today" which is where the people who use such grammar are almost always rafting.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Since Oaring is not an actual word and yes, to use it in a verb form is grammatically incorrect. I believe that the proper syntax of Rowing Vs. Oaring should be defined by the following factors:
1) If you are from the front range vs. the mountains (no explanation needed)
2) If you are woman or a man. (women who are both smart and row are so much hotter than men)
3) If you are rowing a Saturn or a Downriver( once again, explanation unnecessary)
4) If you have had too many safety meetings (cuz you can never be too safe of course)
5) If you have had too many PBR’s (cuz real rafters don’t drink ranger in a can, nope just pbr)
6) If you have had BOTH #4 & #5 (consecutively, and not necessarily in that order)
7) If you live in your parents basement
8) If you wear crocs instead of chacos
9) If you say boat shoot instead of chute
10) If you consider hot pockets a meal (if you eat hot pockets at all)

·
aka The Curmudgeon
354 Posts
Row, Row, Row your Boat. Row Forward, Row Backward, but you are Always Rowing your Boat. Technically, when you are pushing on your oars, which is a weak maneuver, you are executing a portagee. As opposed to Pulling on your oars, which is a much stronger maneuver. The only one I ever knew who oared a boat is my Brother Bilo, and he is a retard. Peace.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Technically, when you are pushing on your oars, which is a weak maneuver, you are executing a portagee. As opposed to Pulling on your oars, which is a much stronger maneuver.
Killing a guy from Portugal?

Of course it's a lot weaker, but you can see where you are going that way. And pretty much every rapid I've ever run has required a combination of pushing, pulling, and pivoting.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts