Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings

A friend just gifted me some Saywer Smoker oars. They had been neglected a bit but after some sanding and 5 coats of spar, they are glowing. Beautiful.

I’m all ready to dive head-first into wrapping them myself. Despite the bottomless rabbit hole of conflicting information available (epoxy yes, epoxy no, nylon yes, nylon no, wet the rope first yes, wet the rope first no, etc) I’m feeling about ready to get-after it this afternoon. A rainy day and lots of coffee.

However, this is mostly because I can’t find someone in my area that could wrap them for me. I have a trip in 10 days and not gonna ship or drive them up to Denver or Salida. Given the option, I’d have Zach wrap them for me.

I got a jig set-up, and a willing helper to turn them. (Jig is a 5’ 2x4 with two oarlocks about 4’ apart.)

But if there’s anyone in SWCO that wants to wrap a couple oars for me, let me know.

(Current plan: yes nylon, yes epoxy, no wet, yes whack em into place. Tell me I’m wrong?)

·
faja
61 Posts
Go for it! We just finished wrapping 3 oars and it wasn't hard. The biggest worry was too much glue that squeezed up over the rope. Not really a problem but it isn't beautiful. E-6000 glue, we put a lot at the top and a lot at the bottom. For the rest we did 4 beads and didn't worry about getting glue around the entire shaft. As is always the case with a DIY project, the last one was perfect.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts