Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got standard plastic sheathed aluminum shaft Carlisle oars. I don't like oar-rights and currently have the plastic clamp on donuts. I'm not into how short the plastic sleeves are and have always preferred rowing rope-wrapped oars. I have only ever seen rope wraps on wooden and composite Cataract oars. Has anybody out there ever put rope wraps on Carlisles? How did it work out? Though I would like the experience of learning to wrap as I have never done it myself, I am kind of thinking I should just pay the money and buy a pair of rope wrapped Cataract oars. I like those shafts better anyway. But then I am a cheapskate dirtbag boater so...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
417 Posts
I had a pair of 10" carlisle oars that had the plastic crack from the sun, I tried a bunch of different things to cover the aluminum but nothing held up. Finally went to a rope rap - 3/16" under the oar sleeves to take up space and 1/8" above and below. Used different colors which is a nice effect. Not too hard if you get some good directions. Maybe takes a night. I sealed the rope with spar varnish. Has held up very well and I recommend it. One other solution I found after the fact is big diameter shrink tubing like they use on electrical connections. You can find big stuff on line. Pricey but tough - I don't know the UV resistance but my gut says it should do well

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
So I've got standard plastic sheathed aluminum shaft Carlisle oars. I don't like oar-rights and currently have the plastic clamp on donuts. I'm not into how short the plastic sleeves are and have always preferred rowing rope-wrapped oars. I have only ever seen rope wraps on wooden and composite Cataract oars. Has anybody out there ever put rope wraps on Carlisles? How did it work out? Though I would like the experience of learning to wrap as I have never done it myself, I am kind of thinking I should just pay the money and buy a pair of rope wrapped Cataract oars. I like those shafts better anyway. But then I am a cheapskate dirtbag boater so...

Thoughts?

Sounds like polishing a turd to me but as Jgrebe says, it can be done.

The benefits of composite oars are real in my opinion, I'd just upgrade when you have the money. Relegate the carlisles for spares or gift them to some up-and-comer. That's what I did with my last pair. FWIW sawyer sometimes has closeouts on miss matched stuff - usually $100 a shaft with wrap... check them out if you decide to upgrade. I bought a pair last year and couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
688 Posts
My Carlisle's are wrapped. No reason it won't work. Rope does not discriminate against size or material of oar shaft. Sawyer has a do it your self kit and instructions if you want to wrap your own. I didn't do mine my self, so I don't have any tips for you.

·
Registered
417 Posts
One quick hint that will save you a lot of time if you do this. Make a couple v-notch pieces of plywood and support a few feet apart - like in a vice or sawhorse etc. Put the oar in the notches, start the wrap ( look up how on-line)and just spin the oar holding tension on the line. Terminate the rope at the end and you are done. This is much faster than trying to wrap the rope around the oar and doesn't tangle the rope as much.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Rope wrapping those should work just fine. I like the idea of the plywood holder with v notches, and I would have a friend help me spin it so that you could wrap the rope as tight as possible. I would also spray the area to be roped with 3m spray adhesive to hold it on there tighter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks!

Thanks everyone for your ideas and for sharing your experience! I appreciate it! I'll post my results when I have some.

·
Sponsoring Vendors
1,466 Posts
The oar will spin a lot easier set across your frame in both oarlocks than in a V notched jig. You definitely want a good friend to spin the oar. By the time you buy the Sawyer kit and your buddy enough beer to do the deed you could have brought them in for a professional to deal with it.;)

·
Misspellingintothefuture!
1,901 Posts
The best material for wrapping carlisle's is duct tape.
They do need the duct tape replaced on a regular basis though, built a connector to the drive axel of my van for this, works awesome!

Just block up my frame off the driveway a bit and use the oarlock to support the oar shaft, done in seconds!
I see no reason this would not work for rope to.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts