Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys -

New to owning a raft so I am finding questions I never thought to ask...

Quick and easy one -- What type of rope should I use for the D-rings on the outside of the raft? I want something someoen could hold onto if they go for a swim (either on purpose or by accident...)

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Loop strap from strapworks.com. polyester won't stretch, lays flat....tension it with the cam buckle. Order two a few feet longer than your boat. Likely cheaper than quality rope, too

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
206 Posts
Almost anything will do. I've never tried the cheap nylon trucker's rope, but it would probably work. I don't know that one is all that much better than the other although I have to say that long loop strap idea sounds pretty good. I've got a scrap of old climbing rope on one of my rafts. It's lasted nine years.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I always liked the 1" soft poly rope, mostly for carrying the raft to the water. I don't trust the handles when the boat is loaded.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I use webbing with a cam buckle for adjusting the tension. On wet runs, it get loose. You can just since it down with the cam strap. On a hot, dry desert float, it gets super tight, and again, you just let it loose with the cam buckle.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I do the webbing and cam buckle system also. Works great. Just as long as it isn't nylon you're good. Nylon stretches a lot when wet and doesn't up as well over time.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Climbing Spec 1" webbing all the way around the boat with a boline knot on one end, and a truckers hitch tied to that.

·
Jared
733 Posts
One thing I've done is knot the rope at every D ring. I am a big guy, and I need all the advantage I can get when re-entering the boat. If I don't tie at the D rings, I have too much slack when I go to pull my fat butt back in the boat. I can cut the line and not lose the whole rope as another benefit.

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
Lots of over - engineered ideas here. Just tie a rope or webbing line around the boat when it's very soft. Inflate the boat and it will be really tight. Simple. :)

·
Jared
733 Posts
LOL Randaddy, I spend a lot more time thinking about stuff on my raft than I ever did on my IK's. My 2nd (maybe 1st) love is cars and 4x4's, and I like to modify them and make them better. I am a real tinkerer, always wanting to change things and optimize things. I had a Grand Cherokee that I built my own suspension parts and lift for, built lots of part for that rig, and now I don't want to leave anything alone. I dig your profile pic, BTW

1 - 12 of 12 Posts