Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang,

I'm thinking about tweaking my pin kit a little bit by switching to fixed spectra/dyneema slings kleimheisted around my 3/8" spectra rope instead of prussiks. Any thoughts on the ideal width for the slings? Thanks!

·
Registered
592 Posts
spectra on spectra sounds like a melting pot...

As far as the diameter of the slings, the closer they are in diameter to your haul line, the more wraps you will have to put in to have effective grab.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I thought spectra/deneema on spectra/dyneema was a bad idea in friction applications (like prussiks and kleimheists) due to the slick nature of the material. I've also heard that spectra/dyneema has a lower melting point than standard rope and webbing and can melt/compromise if excessive friction is applied, like a slipping prussik.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good points. You think nylon slings would be better, despite their slight dynamism (especially when wet)? In theory, the movement of the kleimheist along the haul line, and therefore friction, should be minimal with nylon on spectra, so I shouldn't have to worry about the haul line heating up very much with such an arrangement, right? Just seems like the kleimheist is a grippier, quicker hitch than a prussik, and is knot-less with sewn slings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts