Mountain Buzz banner

Rookie Rowers Lower Blue?

4K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  SROB34 
#1 ·
So I'm lending out a small oar rig to some fisher buddies to float from green mountain to the trough road.

They are experienced fisherman, but damn near never ever in terms of rowing.

Anyone have special tips on spots to look out for or Rapids to scout?

I've run as far as spring valley take out, but it was 20 years ago in a kayak.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

#2 ·
We did it a couple weeks ago at about 1100 cfs. Super fun, lots of big wave trains. No real must make moves when you're in a raft. Flows a little lower at the moment than they were, but they still shouldn't have any trouble. We've watched oar rigs reelin in fish as they're going over the diversion dams, plural fish. Fishes. Must have caught 3 or 4 in the time it took em to get over the dam.
Just keep it straight.
We take out at Spring Creek Road, so not sure about anything below that.

#7 ·
Went down to the lower take-out last Saturday, flows were around 950 I think. Fishing was good.
The main thing lower down is all the diversion dams - they create some decent-sized drops. They slow the river down a lot just above them, so you can creep right up to the edge and scout. Most of the lines are near the middle, just creep up and look for a line that avoids the obvious ugly rocks below. If they can handle that, nothing else is much a challenge.

#11 ·
Rippersaurus...

The last info I got on my thread on "Rippersaurus" was that it MIGHT be just below the suspension bridge well below the spring creek takeout...never really got confirmation on this. The next time I am in there I am going to try to get photographic evidence...
If I were loaning a boat to someone to float that stretch I might be more worried about getting the raft to the put-in rather than the actual float...

And thanks again zbaird for fixing my boat...it floats a lot better without the 3" hole in the bottom :)

LR

#12 ·
Never seen it either and have been down several times in the last year.

Certainly wouldn't be my choice to send someone down that has never rowed a boat but if they're not concerned about it let er' rip. Some guidance on how to get the raft to the put in is all they need. After that there is only one way back to the car so the choices become pretty clear. First couple miles require some moves, none of them life or death, just misery or enjoyment consequences.

#13 ·
My $0.02

I'm probably overly cautious but if they don't know how to row, then they might not want to do the Lower Blue. There are a couple moves that need to be made here and there and you have to keep an eye out for the take out.

Two Bridges to Catamount on the Colorado would seem to make more sense if they really have super minimal experience on the oars.

Just my 2 cents.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.