Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody made any storage boxes for on top of roof racks? The yakima and Thule ones are so overpriced. I was thinking that I could make a sweet looking one out of wood (not plywood, something a little classier). Metal Could also work well. Plastic seems like it would be hard to work with. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
jeffro - what's happening? I just got back from washington state for a spring break paddling trip. If you're interested in scaring the shit out of yourself you could take your raft up there and run tumwater canyon on the wenatchee. Anyway, you're right about those boxes being ridiculously over priced - all of that roof rack crap is. Maybe talk to hobie, he does custom metal kayak racks and might have some ideas for you. How goes the permit quest? I got completely skunked, but I may be able to hook you up with a highwater middle fork trip if you're interested? That'd be pretty scary as well in a fully loaded raft. Gimme a call if you're interested. (303) 594-9733
Joe

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
Look for a used one. Unless your time has no value, you will quickly spend way more trying to do it yourself. Your standards or expectations also play a major factor. My buddy Andy has been driving around with my old Hydra mounted to his roof with a simple hatch replacing the pointed rear for years. Works for him, and has the added benefit of looking like it couldn't possibly contain anything worth stealing.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just saw this yesterday...in a binge of thriftiness, a friend of mine cut an old black tubular futon frame, mounted it to his towers, and put on yakima plastic end caps. Cost: Yakima caps. Factory look...priceless.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts