Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
Her sweep is coming across the body and for sure her head needs work. Try some goggles and have her watch the blade stay on the surface and through the hip snap.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Your wife needs to sweep out to the side, not down. Stick her in the boat on dry land, flip her onto her back into the set up position and have her try to roll, you will learn immediately how to sweep.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree with the other posters the sweep needs to be at the surface and perpendicular to the boat. Every missed roll seems to be missing that last little bit to get up. Try feathering the blade of the paddle so that the blade is going up as you sweep out it will help her stay at the surface of the water through the sweep.

·
Registered
29 Posts
think of the sweep as straightening the arm then extends it to the side, and to reach for the sky, if the elbow is not straight, it might be a sign of pulling the blade down,

·
Kayak/SUP Instructor
1,332 Posts
Punching badly with the left arm. Pretty common and easy to fix. Bring the left arm across the chest. Watch videos of success and keep your eye on their left arm, her paddle can't dive if the left arm doesn't punch up or straight out.

·
Registered
135 Posts
It looks like there is almost no hip snap going on. It looks like she's just too stiff and is bringing her body to the surface before the boat is snapped up.

I'd concentrate on hip snaps.

Also, keep that active blade up closer to the surface before the hip snap.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
It looks like there is almost no hip snap going on. It looks like she's just too stiff and is bringing her body to the surface before the boat is snapped up.

I'd concentrate on hip snaps.

Also, keep that active blade up closer to the surface before the hip snap.
Yep, no snap. Have her hip snap off the bow of your boat without her paddle.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Also agree with the punching comment. She's punching with her left arm, which is causing her active blade to dive quicker than it should.

This is causing the paddle to be perpendicular to the water by the time she's almost right side up. But at that point, she's about out of water to push against, and that causes her to flip back upside down.

So:
Hip snap
stop punching
concentrate on a getting the active blade closer to the surface of the water before hip snapping

Good luck. She's almost got it. Just a couple adjustments.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Ok...so I agree with everything everyone has said so far....however....I teach the roll a TON for RAGuides (5 years now) and one big thing that really thing that helps the beginners that come to me is using their knee. If she has ever taken a kickboxing class or a self defense class - have her think of it as a straight up motion with her right knee. Have her JAM it up into the thigh brace as hard as she can. Have her stand on land, take her right knee and uppercut it (have her pretend she is jamming her knee up under an attacker's jaw). Sorry for the violent visualization, but it works for a lot of people. As long as she JAMS that right knee up and continues to press it into the thigh brace towards the sky until she is all the way upright, she should have an easier time hip-snapping. The knee is EVERYTHING yet it is seldom taught. It will give her a lot of power and confidence. Lots of people respond well with this technique.

Very nice set-up and her head is not that bad. She just need some more POWER and some follow-through with her blade. Knee. Knee. Knee. KNEE!

·
Registered
795 Posts
Hipsnap.....which is 80% of a roll.

Or knee...never heard of it taught that way, but it makes sense. Whichever method makes more sense to her, I guess.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I know it sounds weird, but it has proved extremely effective in lessons I have taught over the years. Getting her to engage the knee is the most important thing in what I am trying to say here regardless of how it gets done. Having people practice out of their boat and get a picture in their head of what it should look like can really help. Even if she stands and marches in place with a really high knee - it helps. Quick, powerful JAM that knee!

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Remind me not to get on Patty's bad side.

My critique is that Mary has a terrible roll. I'm not much of a teacher, but I tried teaching somebody to roll this past winter. I thought a great technique was to get in some waist deep water and stand in the water with this Mary person, whom you seem to think should be a kayaker, still in her boat.

Have her flip toward you and catch her body/paddle. You can hold her so her head is just above the water, but she's still essentially in a roll setup position. Then have her use her paddle and hip snap to right herself from this position. I think it helps a ton because instead of being disoriented and having the clock ticking underwater, she can setup her paddle with your assistance and figure out the paddle and hip snap motion from a safe starting point. At first you can give some assistance by applying pressure to the paddle as she rolls up and then as she gets the feel for the motion, let her do the paddle entirely by herself. Hope that makes some sense.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Remind me not to get on Patty's bad side.

My critique is that Mary has a terrible roll. I'm not much of a teacher, but I tried teaching somebody to roll this past winter. I thought a great technique was to get in some waist deep water and stand in the water with this Mary person, whom you seem to think should be a kayaker, still in her boat.

Have her flip toward you and catch her body/paddle. You can hold her so her head is just above the water, but she's still essentially in a roll setup position. Then have her use her paddle and hip snap to right herself from this position. I think it helps a ton because instead of being disoriented and having the clock ticking underwater, she can setup her paddle with your assistance and figure out the paddle and hip snap motion from a safe starting point. At first you can give some assistance by applying pressure to the paddle as she rolls up and then as she gets the feel for the motion, let her do the paddle entirely by herself. Hope that makes some sense.

HAhaha! I am not a violent person, really, I promise :0 Just trying to write in words what I normally demonstrate in person. Your advice about holding her above water is really good! If I may add one more thing: when you are holding her above water, have her rest her head on your shoulder and as she hip snaps, have her push down into your shoulder with her head. It will teach her to keep her head down in the future.

Tuesday lessons with RAGuides at the Golden Rec Center are very good ones for the roll (especially class #3). All of our instructors are ACA Certified.

Ok...I could go on and on, but I will shut-up now.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
As long as she JAMS that right knee up and continues to press it into the thigh brace towards the sky until she is all the way upright, she should have an easier time hip-snapping. The knee is EVERYTHING yet it is seldom taught. It will give her a lot of power and confidence. Lots of people respond well with this technique.
Equally important to CONTINUE to pull the knee to the sky until upright.
You can see the instant she stops pulling with her knee--it is at this point that the boat falls back on top of her and she goes back underwater.

Her head position isn't bad. Between her left arm punching and her right knee not pulling, she's going under...she's not lifting her head as badly as some do. Work on the other problems first, and tune out what little head lift she has after she's getting the roll.

Some people start thinking too much about that right knee and then pull up on their left knee as well. For them, a reminder to push down with their left heel--or "get the boat off of you!" is necessary. For others without this problem, don't say anything--it's a distraction.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Not like I am an expert, but I am an instructor that was taught by Jimmy Holcome at the NOC. That rolling over on land thing is okay, but if you grab her pfd straps from behind, and help her set up in position with her head above water works best. Feel free to call me, and I will break down what has worked best for my students. I don't feel like typing all of it. 801-678-9130

·
Kayak/SUP Instructor
1,332 Posts
I like what Patty said. I've never liked to call it hip snap because it's really what Patty described and not the hips really at all. I tell them to try to knee themselves in the face.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Not like I am an expert, but I am an instructor that was taught by Jimmy Holcome at the NOC. That rolling over on land thing is okay, but if you grab her pfd straps from behind, and help her set up in position with her head above water works best. Feel free to call me, and I will break down what has worked best for my students. I don't feel like typing all of it. 801-678-9130

Please do type it out if you get a chance. I'm always looking to learn what others experiences are.

·
Banned
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the great replies. We're going to try to get back out to a reservoir somewhere around here friday. I've been trying to teach her the knee thing she says she just can't do it underwater though, she knows her hip snap is weak. I'll have her read this thread and maybe do some dry land stuff. I'll get out of my boat and assist her also. If anyone wants to get together at a reservoir friday early afternoon post up!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts